Caroline Simmons to Run for Mayor of Stamford

State Representative Caroline Simmons’s Twitter profile picutre

Jeremy Young, Correspondent

Connecticut State Representative Caroline Simmons has announced that she will run for mayor of Stamford in the upcoming election. 

“I am honored and excited to announce that I have filed my papers to run for Mayor of Stamford, and it has been my privilege to serve as state representative,” Simmons told the Round Table.

Currently, Simmons is a Democratic State Representative for District 144 in Stamford; she has been a State Representative since 2015. She serves as a member of the Commerce, Higher Education and Employment Advancement, and Human Services committees.

Simmons is also  part of many local organizations, such as the Fairfield County Young Democrats, the Stamford League of Women Voters, and the Stamford Jewish Community Center. Simmons has been involved with Stamford High previously, as she was the school’s commencement speaker in 2016. 

Prior to her role as a State Representative, Simmons served as the Director of Special Projects for the Counterterrorism Coordinator’s Office in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (2011-2013).  From 2010 to 2011 she was a policy analyst in the Middle East, Africa, & South Asia Office of International Affairs for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and she served as the confidential assistant to the chief of staff for the Office of Secretary Napolitano in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security the year before that.

Simmons earned her Bachelor’s in Government degree from Harvard University and her Master of the Arts degree in Middle East Studies from George Washington University. 

“I want to continue to work tirelessly at the local level to help our city recover from the devastating health and economic consequences of this pandemic. I am really looking forward to hearing from community members, including students, to see how we can improve the city,” Simmons said.

The Round Table has scheduled a follow-up interview with Simmons for this Friday, February 12.