The student news site of Stamford High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

The Round Table

Polls

Have you been taking advantage of the new open campus policy?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Round Table Official Instagram Page

Senator and SHS alumnus Joseph Lieberman dies at 82

Lieberman’s senior portrait in the 1960 SHS yearbook

Senator Joseph Isadore Lieberman, a notable Stamford High alumnus and vice presidential candidate, passed away at the age of 82 March 27, 2024, due to a fall in his New York home. He is survived by his wife, Hadassah, their child Hani, and two children from his previous marriage, Rebecca and Matt, and stepson Ethan. 

Lieberman was born on February 24, 1942, in Stamford, Connecticut. His father, Henry, owned a liquor store on Hamilton Avenue. Lieberman had a very close connection with his Jewish community and he spent his high school education at Stamford High School. He was named the “most likely to succeed”, “ideal student”, and “did most for S.H.S.” He was described as very popular during his time at Stamford High. As senior class president, he was kind to his fellow classmates. Lieberman had a very successful life, being the first in his family to go to college. Graduating in 1960, Joseph went to study at Yale University. 

His interest in politics would remain with him during his college years. Lieberman earned degrees from both Yale University and Yale Law School, leading him to become a lawyer for the New Haven firm Wiggin & Dana LLP. In 1970, Lieberman was elected as a democrat to the Connecticut Senate. He then served as Connecticut Attorney General from 1983 to 1989. In the 1986 general election, Lieberman won the most votes of Democrats on the statewide ticket. In 1989, he became a United States Senator from Connecticut. 

His career was not without challenges, such as supporting the Iraq war which would later cost him the primary in 2003. Many individuals also perceived him as an opponent of free speech on the internet, especially due to his strong advocacy for greater use of surveillance cameras by the federal government and advocating for the censorship of music lyrics. 

Lieberman’s senior yearbook profile at SHS

In general, Lieberman was extremely successful with politics, exemplified by him winning by a large margin in the 1994 Connecticut Senate race, making history. Lieberman is best known for serving as the vice presidential campaign with candidate Al Gore in 2000. Yet, they were defeated by the Bush-Cheney ticket. In 2003, Lieberman would revisit Stamford High School to announce a campaign for president, recalling it as “a place where so many of my dreams were formed.” On February 3, 2024, he withdrew from his candidacy. 

His political accomplishments were significant, especially being the first Jewish politician to run on a major party presidential ticket, but they do not solely define him. Lieberman also had a special connection with his community, and deeply cared for his hometown of Stamford. He was laid to rest March 29, 2024, at the Congregation Agudath Sholom in Stamford, Connecticut.