Why the Stamford High Graduation Gown Redesign is Actually Not a Big Deal

Isabella Garcia, Staff Writer

This past Fall, Stamford High School’s Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council (MYLC) program proposed the idea of having a graduation gown redesign for all current and future Senior classes. Instead of the traditional two black and white gowns, black for boys and white for girls, MYLC proposed that all graduation gowns be the same color and design for every single student regardless of gender identity. The school administration decided to push the agenda forward and make the redesign happen. But this change, like most changes, led to some backlash from both Stamford High students and parents.

The main purpose of the redesign is to be more inclusive of students who are questioning their gender identity, are not out to their friends and family if they are transgender, or don’t identify as any gender (non-binary). Having to make the choice between the white and black could possibly force students to come out when they aren’t ready or feel uncomfortable in having to wear a gown representing a gender they are not. This issue is a lot more relevant than some may think. I can think of three students I know who would benefit from the redesign off the top of my head.

Students who are in disagreement with the change say that the black and white gowns are a tradition at Stamford High and should stay the same. They also say that if you are transgender that you should choose the gown you feel that you identify as. But as I previously mentioned, there can be cases where transgender students have not yet told their families of their true gender identity because of the fear of not being accepted and ultimately having to choose the gown that they don’t belong in.

Some students have also proposed that we keep the black and white gowns. In theory, removing their representing genders so that white and black don’t mean girl and boy would make it a choice between colors, not genders. However, if that were to be enforced, there would still be an unwritten rule that the correspondence stays the same. In other words, boys will still choose black and girls will still choose white, which just brings us back to square one.

I have yet to hear the expected argument of “why do we have to change everything for just one person or a small group of people?” first hand. But to those who do have that question, here is why: the world and society in its entirety is not accepting of the LGBTQ community. That is a fact. There are many stories of transgender people being discriminated against and even viciously attacked for the way they live their own lives. High-school graduation is the final send off into that world. So why not, just for those couple of hours out of their entire lifetime, be mindful of their needs too. And why not send a message to others that everybody is worthy of being included, even in the most intricate, detailed ways.

There are plenty of high schools that don’t have more than one colored graduation gown ( i.e. Westhill, Trinity, AITE). I personally don’t see the change as a big deal. We have the rest our lives to dress in whatever colors we want. Black or white, graduation gowns are still pretty ugly, so why not be ridiculously dressed AND be inclusive (yes, it’s totally possible to do both). We’re still going to get our diplomas and graduate, so as long as those two things are happening I don’t see a valid reason to nitpick details.

Sports uniforms and school merchandise are very often changed and redesigned, so how are graduation gowns any different?