The student news site of Stamford High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

The Round Table

Polls

Have you been taking advantage of the new open campus policy?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Round Table Official Instagram Page

A (Harmonious) Call to Action: Why All Schools Should Tune into Music Education

In the symphony of education, the question arises: should all schools offer music programs? The answer, supported by several sources of evidence, is yes. Music education isn’t just about melodies and rhythms – it’s a key that unlocks a world of cognitive, emotional, and social benefits for students. 

To begin our overture, let’s acknowledge the opposing view. Some argue that limited resources should be given to traditional academic subjects rather than the arts. While budgets are a valid concern, the benefits of music education extend far beyond staff. Research consistently shows that students involved in music programs perform at higher levels in subjects such as math and science. The discipline required to master a musical instrument enhances concentration, problem-solving skills, and memory. By bringing music into the curriculum, we create a richer educational environment.

Some assert that extracurricular activities like music programs are a luxury. However, this view overlooks the inclusivity of music education. It’s not just for the naturally gifted; it’s for everyone. By offering musical experiences, schools cater to varied interests and abilities, ensuring that each student can discover their own musical talent. These programs also encourage collaboration, communication, and a sense of community. Whether through a school orchestra, choir, or band, students learn to work together towards a common goal, fostering a supportive and connected school culture.

In a world where stress and anxiety can overwhelm teenage minds, the therapeutic benefits of music are invaluable. Learning to express oneself through music provides an outlet for emotions and stress, promoting mental well-being. When schools offer music programs, they aren’t just fostering musicians; they’re nurturing emotionally intelligent and resilient people.

Critics also argue that investing in music education is a luxury we can’t afford, given tight budgets. However, this view neglects the long-term advantages. Music programs contribute to the development of adaptable and innovative individuals, which are qualities that are essential in the modern workforce. Investing in music education is an investment in the future success of our students.

Despite all of this, it’s important to acknowledge the financial constraints faced by schools under such programs. Budgets are stretched thin, and difficult decisions must be made. However, by exploring partnerships with community organizations, seeking grants, or reallocating funds, schools can strike a chord between responsibility and providing a ‘holistic’ education.

In conclusion, the benefits of music education are a symphony of positive outcomes that resonate throughout a student’s life. We must recognize that music is not a luxury but a necessity, contributing to academic success, emotional well-being, and social improvement. By embracing music programs in all schools, we create an incredible learning environment where every student has the opportunity to flourish.

As we reach the final notes of this editorial, the solution becomes clear: let’s invest in the language of music to orchestrate a brighter future for our students. Together, we can ensure that every school is a stage for the influential power of music education. 

View Comments (2)

Comments (2)

All The Round Table Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

Michael FahertyFeb 14, 2024 at 8:17 am

Lovely article Lola! Thanks for writing this.

Reply
  • L

Leo FieldFeb 9, 2024 at 2:26 pm

music to my ears!

Reply