The student news site of Stamford High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

The Round Table

Polls

Have you been taking advantage of the new open campus policy?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Round Table Official Instagram Page

“Kids These Days”: Why Gen Z has it Easier Than Any Previous Generation

As society gradually moves away from the pandemic’s direct impact and the effects of technology on young people becomes increasingly apparent, a question arises concerning Generation Z (born 1997-2013) and the generations that follow. While it is valid to consider the level of unknown events faced by my generation and the uncharted territory we navigate, labeling this century as more challenging than the last is a formidable task.

A cursory examination of the previous century reveals recurring themes of war, famine, pestilence, and death. However, unlike the 21st century, these events were extreme in-scale. The last century witnessed some of the worst cases of human-on-human violence ever recorded: World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War being the most apparent examples. The enduring effects of these conflicts persist today, continuing to impact entire ecosystems and peoples. However, beyond the inherent fear of death, there was a significantly higher likelihood of succumbing to diseases in the last century. While many benefitted from a medical boom which occurred near the century’s end, a substantial portion of the world population faced strikingly low survival rates for numerous easily curable ailments. Diseases like tuberculosis and viral infections, easily treatable with antibiotics, often amounted to a death sentence.

Communication efficiency posed another challenge for the people of the 20th century. Until the mid-20th century, information was scarce, and reliance on word of mouth or occasional radio messages left much of the populace in the dark. Alternative forms of communication (e.g. writing letters) required countless man-hours for information exchange, contributing to a sort of dark age of information. Along these lines, the educational landscape of the 20th century was profoundly inadequate until its conclusion. Widespread illiteracy persisted, affecting a significant portion of the population. While the notion of no school may seem appealing to the average member of Gen Z, the ramifications include higher rates of poverty now and for subsequent generations. Apart from that, increased disease and death rates follow close behind these environments.

Rather than yearning to live in the past, Gen Z should view the experiences of this century as part of an ongoing narrative. With not even half of this century completed, it is challenging to definitively declare it as the most difficult. Instead of fixating on current strife and comparing it with the past, those living in the present should look forward to the future as a way to enhance the lives of those to come.

View Comments (1)

Comments (1)

All The Round Table Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• K

Keith AkorleyFeb 26, 2024 at 1:58 pm

Very informative, nice job Kelly!

Reply