The Round Table

A Recap of the 2017-2018 Debate Season

Isabella Sorial, Staff Writer

It’s been a swell year for the Debate Team. Lots of exciting events and awards that made this season special. Because the State Championship was this past Saturday, March 24th, I thought it would be fitting, as co-captain of the team, to take a look back on the journey our six finalists took getting there.

In September of 2017, our team started the year with more than 30 new members and lots of returners. Captains Augustus Doricko (senior) and Isabella Sorial (junior) – disclosure: that’s me – along with Coach Jeremy White, spent the summer discussing the possibilities of the upcoming season. The first meeting took place on Monday, September 11th and the room was abuzz with fresh, invigorating energy.

In the September of 2017, with the help of Doricko, Mayor David Martin visited the Debate Team and gave us some insight on how his personal life led him to a career in public service.

For more details, read “David Martin: How He Became Mayor” Here: https://shsroundtable.com/uncategorized/2017/09/20/david-martin-how-he-became-mayor/

In October 2017, Freshman Alexander Zajac became the first Stamford High School Debate Team Member to qualify for the State Championships in the first Connecticut Debate Association (CDA) Tournament of the year. He received the Fourth Place Speaker Award in the Novice Division at the Academy of Information Technology and Engineering (AITE).

In November 2017, Senior Augustus Doricko received the First Place Speaker Award in the Varsity Division at Westhill.  Read more about Doricko’s journey with our team in “Stamford High’s New Debate Legend” here: https://shsroundtable.com/uncategorized/2017/11/17/debate-legends/

Our team’s Snap! Raise fundraiser also ended this month. Through rigorous support from our team’s families and friends, the team managed to raise over $5000 in just six weeks.

In January of 2018, the Stamford High Debate Team hosted our first CDA Tournament in over 20 years! This proved to be yet another wonderful demonstration of support from our team and their families. We thank the many student volunteers and parents who helped us organize this special event.

In March 2018, our team recruited more than 40 incoming freshman at our PTO’s Freshman Orientation hosted by the Leadership Academy.

Doricko and Sophomore Aron Ravin participated in the Final Round at the CDA Tournament, an honor bestowed upon the top two scoring Varsity Teams. The two received the Second Place Team Award, and Doricko received the First Place Speaker Award.

Freshman Rakshita Ramakrishna received the Third Place Speaker Award in the Novice Division. Her and her partner, freshman Alba Alizoti placed as the Fourth Place Team at Darien High School.

To culminate the fascinating season, the six qualifying students headed off to Joel Barlow High School to participate in the CDA State Championships. Those were, in order of qualification, Zajac and his partner John Falger in the Novice Division, Doricko and Ravin in the Varsity Division, and Ramakrishna and Alizoti in Novice.

Here, the Debate Team poses for a group photo after a successful debate in the CDA State Championships.

Doricko and Ravin received the award for Third Place Team, and Doricko was awarded Second Speaker.

Of course, the completion of the CDA Season doesn’t mean Debate is over for the year. The team has many events in store for the rest of the year, including a banquet, Stamford’s first-ever City Championship and a special orientation for the eighth graders we’ve recruited for next year. Here’s to another successful season!