The student news site of Stamford High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

The Round Table

Polls

Have you been taking advantage of the new open campus policy?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Round Table Official Instagram Page

Senior to Refresh Courtyard for Eagle Scout Project

The large courtyard at Stamford High School has recently been renovated, becoming a prospective spot for students to hang out in warmer weather. Most students view the courtyard through the breezeways as they pass from Building 1 to Building 2, looking down at the new pathways and tables. But what often gets overlooked is the fact that there are two other courtyards at the school.

Located in the first building, divided by the central hallway, are two small courtyards. One of these courtyards, adjacent to the large auditorium, is set to be revitalized by senior Simeon Sukinder, as part of his final project as a Boy Scout. Simeon has been a troop member since he was in middle school, and in order to achieve the rank of Eagle Scout (the highest rank in boy scouts), he must complete this project.

Senior Simeon Sukinder plans to renovate the 1st floor courtyard as part of his Eagle Scout Project.

Most students cannot even say that they have been in one of the 1st building courtyards, and many don’t even know they have entrances. “There is an entrance through the library. Hopefully it can get more recognition in the future,” said Sukinder. His plan is to build a nature-oriented outdoor classroom that can be used by classes in warmer times of school. He said, “Initially I planned on doing a similar project at my former elementary school, but due to a technical problem it basically made it easier to do it here at SHS. I also think high school students would benefit more from learning outside.”

Simeon says that the logistical processes of this project actually took months to complete. When asked about the materials he will be using, he said, “I got them from my backyard (tree stumps), and I had people who were already taking down trees from there. I also got some other materials from Home Depot and Lowe’s, who gave me discounts for being a Boy Scout.” His plan is to use naturally cut wood to construct tables and benches in the courtyard, along with a few other aesthetic additions and landscaping to the somewhat ill-maintained space. “People from my (boy scout) troop, friends and family are going to help,” Sukinder said.

Needless to say, construction on the courtyard is yet to commence. Sukinder says that initialization is set for late April, with completion coming in May. “I hope it can be a good place to hang out, and no one even goes to the courtyard, so think of a place that can be more widely used by the community”. As a senior, Sukinder will not be present for the 2024-2025 school year, but he also aims to promote the area for that year and to continue its prosperity. He also hopes that the school library, which is currently underutilized by most students, will also be used more, as students will have to access the new space through it. Overall, Simeon’s idea is a promising one for the school, and it will present the community with many new opportunities to learn and hang out in a natural environment.