Is the New February Break a Mistake?

Is the New February Break a Mistake?

Shaina Lubliner, Staff Writer

This year, the Stamford Public School system has chosen to have a short, five day vacation from school to celebrate President’s Weekend, instead of the usual extensive February break. The long weekend will start on Friday, Feb. 13 and end on Tuesday, Feb. 17.

I think the idea of a long weekend is a much better way to give staff and students a break from school. Getting a week off in February was disruptive to the elementary and middle school students who previously had to take the Connecticut Mastery Test in March. Additionally, for families who don’t travel, there really isn’t much to do during the chilly month of February, other than vegetate on the couch and watch television. I’d rather go to school during the cold season, in exchange for being released from school earlier in June. That way, I can enjoy the sunlight and warmth instead of being stuck at school.

I believe there is a much bigger problem in the Stamford Public Schools’ calendar than the shortened February break. Because our April break was moved much earlier than previous years (now Mar. 28 through Apr. 5), we only have one day off from school between Apr. 6 and the last day of school in June. How is this going to affect our students and teachers? No one can say for sure, but as the warmth approaches, it has been proven that people begin to get lazy and need the break from work in order to energize themselves for AP season and finals. Not to mention, the spring is a vital time for juniors to visit potential colleges, and now that is going to become a challenge for those who feel uncomfortable missing school days.

Although nothing can be done to change the calendar for this year, it is important that the students, parents and staff of the Stamford Public School system speak up if they feel the calendar should be changed for upcoming years. However, since nothing can be done about it at this point, go ahead and enjoy your vacation!  Who knows, this change could be a good thing!