Closed Campus or Closed Minded?

Senior Geoff Cahr believes the closed-door policy does not benefit SHS students.

Geoffrey Cahr, Staff Writer

As mentioned in a previous article written by Staff Writer Julia Fruithandler, “Ever since the Sandy Hook shooting two years ago, Stamford High has locked up its doors and tightened security to make sure that no one is getting in and out.” While this attempt at enforcing student safety is totally understandable, it has proven to be counterproductive in students’ academic lives.

While compiling opinions from various Stamford High School students and faculty, I recognized a universal opinion: something needs to change. Not only are we depriving our seniors of privileges such as walking outside, but we are also experiencing a surplus of tardy students and are setting the stage for potential hazards.

It is evident that over the past few years by nixing the multiple alternate pathways to class (via outside routes), students have been consistently later to class. This forced adaption has caused both stress and anxiety among students as well as misunderstandings and anger amongst teachers. “When the locked doors were first put into effect I remember being punished for lateness every day because it took so long to fight through that hallway,” recalled Gabe Verderame, Class of 2014. “There was a definite correlation between the lateness of my students and the elimination of the outside driveway as a path to get back up to the old building from the new building. I believe many of my students are making their best attempt to get to class on time but are unable to,” noted Verderame’s former teacher and English Department Head, Beth Gillin, who constantly has to deal with late-arrivers.

As far as safety goes, we face many new potential threats with this disadvantageous policy. “I understand the safety precautions, but administrators need to truly consider the chaos inside of the school,” argued senior Paulomi Rao. “If there is a fire on the 7th floor, is it really safer to be stuck in a building with 100 people who can’t get out? I don’t think so.”