Top Tips for Incoming Juniors

Sarah Druckman, Staff Writer

Image To all of you current sophomores, I bet you are starting to wonder whether junior year is really as terrifying as everyone says.  As I reflect on the past several months, I think about all of the things I wish I had known prior to entering my junior year.  Since the year is bound to be stressful, I have created a list of tips to minimize this stress level and promote maximum success for students who will soon enter this critical year.  While junior year will not be easy, these tips will help you find some enjoyment and survive the year while maintaining your sanity.

1. Don’t make getting into college a reason for doing activities

• Although it can be easy to fall into the trap of trying to do everything so you can put it on your college resume, this is not the most efficient way to tackle the school year.  It is easier and more enjoyable to focus on a few activities that you are most interested in.  This way, you can put in as much time and effort as you need without getting overwhelmed.

2. Take classes that you want to take.  

• While it’s easy to be swayed by what classes your friends are taking, it’s better to follow your own path and select a schedule that most satisfies your interests. This way, it will be much easier to pay attention in your classes and achieve your highest potential.  However, do not shy away from taking harder classes if you feel like you can handle the faster pace.  A weighted GPA is not everything, but it can be beneficial.

3. Form relationships with your teachers

• Since colleges do look at teacher recommendations, it is important that you start to get to know your teachers and show them what separates you from others.  However, don’t just try to impress them with the intention of getting a good college recommendation.  Generally speaking, forming a strong bond with a teacher really makes the year more enjoyable.  

4.  Start preparing for standardized tests over the summer

• Yes, I know this is not what you want to hear.  However, starting to think about standardized tests the summer before junior year will relieve the pressure of having to do so in the midst of a crazy schedule.  Your preparation can begin with trying some sample SAT questions and comparing them to ACT questions to determine which you are better with.  This way, you can focus all of your energy on one, rather than waiting until you are most busy to decide.

5. Don’t spend all of your time on schoolwork

• Although it may seem as if this year should be all about school, this is not necessarily the case.  It is best to balance your time between schoolwork and extracurricular activities so that your mind can catch a break.  This will enable you to be more efficient when it comes to getting your work done.  

6.  Take time for you and have fun!

• Always try to find some time each day to relax and take a breath.  Find things that make you happy and set aside time to make them possible.  This will give you something to look forward to and motivate you to finish important tasks.  You will be thankful for this time after endless nights of homework, studying, playing sports, or working.

7. Don’t focus too much on your future

•  Although junior year is the right time to begin the college search process, it is important not to get too wrapped up in what will happen after high school.  It is easy to get overwhelmed when thinking about your future, including what college you might attend or what career you hope to have.  However, in order to achieve these goals, you must first take one step at a time and just focus on having the most successful year possible.  The more you keep your mind centered on one task, the more you will get accomplished.  Thinking about everything in the future will simply drive you crazy.