What You Don’t Know You’ll Miss: A Message to Outgoing Seniors

Photo Credit: Olivia Martinez

Elana Rosinsky, Staff Writer

As seniors’ time before going to college begins to dwindle, we start to realize how many things we have to say goodbye to. Of course, we’ll miss our parents, our friends, our pets, and a good home-cooked meal, but there are some other things that we might want to think twice about leaving behind.

1.) Our Siblings

If your sibling is close in age to you, you probably don’t realize how much time you actually spend with your brother or sister. Family outings, meals, going to school, watching TV, and countless other activities are all spent with your siblings. And, although they might get on your nerves every once in a while, you’re really going to miss spending time with them. They are like a built-in best friend, and you might really underestimate how much we’re going to miss them.

2.) High School

As seniors, some of us are literally counting down the days until graduation. But as the college work piles on, and you are pulling all-nighters in the library trying to cram for tomorrow’s exam, you are definitely going to miss the ease of high school.

3.) Hometown Food

The food in Stamford is unlike anywhere else. You don’t realize the great options that are right at your fingertips, but as you are forced to eat in mediocre dining halls and fast food joints, you are definitely going to miss the great food in Stamford. Some of my personal favorites that I already anticipate missing are Colony Grill, Garden Catering, and Village Table.

4.) Driving

Most college campuses don’t allow freshmen to have cars, so that means getting to all our destinations by either walking or taking a bus/shuttle. Personally, I love driving. I love the independence of going where I want, when I want. And, though I will have a great deal of freedom at college, I know I will miss being able to hop in my car and quickly go wherever I need to be. When you are standing in the pouring rain waiting for a crowded bus or walking through a winter storm to your next class, you will definitely miss driving.

5.) Personal Space

Unless you are a part of the tiny percentile of freshmen who live in a single room their first year, you will be sharing a room with at least one other person and sharing a bathroom with at least a dozen other people. Personal space and a decent amount of time to yourself are two things that will be a rare treat. So while you can, stretch out your arms, close your eyes, and take advantage of just being in your own realm.

6.) Not Wearing Shoes in the Shower

Colleges heavily recommend that their students wear shoes when they take a shower. When lots of people share a bathroom, bacterial and fungal infections are common and easily spread when people have bare feet. It is without a doubt that you will miss the open-toed freedom of showering in your own bathroom.

7.) Parental Guidance

Though some students can’t wait to have their parents off their backs, sometimes it is actually nice to have someone figuring out your schedule/life for you. Making all of your own decisions can be a little overwhelming, especially if this is something you’re not used to. So, while you can, take advantage of your parents making doctor’s appointments for you, going grocery shopping, and guiding you through tough decisions.