Is the Freshman Building a Faux-Pas?

Photo by Trevor Kaufman

Photo by Trevor Kaufman

Mike Martin, Staff Writer

There has been word going around school that the new building will be converted into a freshman-only building in the coming school year. As these rumors now appear to have some validity, some questions have been raised: How will it affect the rest of the school? What do the teachers think?

Personally, I believe it doesn’t make any sense for the school to segregate freshmen in one building. For the teachers, it’s highly inconvenient because many of them would have to relocate classrooms. Also, freshmen have to get used to transitioning from building to building, and with most of their classes in one place, they won’t be accustomed to it for sophomore year.

This affects the other grades, too. We are used to having our classes in all the buildings, and frankly it’s unfair that the freshmen get the newest building because we will be losing valuable resources. The new building has better lab tables, nicer classrooms, and air-conditioning (which is crucial in the warmer months). Also, it would feel weird to us students who have to go to the new building for an English elective for example, when we are used to all English classes being in the old building.

Also, since this would only be a one-year experiment, it will just make incoming students more confused about the school their sophomore year. Most freshmen get lost the first couple of weeks of school, and this would just end up happening to these kids all over again their sophomore year.

The only good side to this change would be that the halls wouldn’t be as crowded. Freshmen can never navigate the halls properly, and it would be a relief for them to not back up traffic.

But all things considered, having the freshmen in one building doesn’t really help anyone, and it will make it more difficult for freshmen to adapt to Stamford High. I believe that the administrators should think this plan over before finalizing and get some more teacher and student input on it.