Is College Really Worth It?

Photo by Trevor Kaufman

Photo by Trevor Kaufman

Elana Rosinsky, Staff Writer

As college is right around the corner for most seniors and beginning to appear on the horizon for juniors, I know I cannot be the only one asking myself these questions: Is college really worth it? Is all the work I’m putting in going to pay off? Could I be successful without spending my entire life’s savings?

The first thing that comes to mind when I ask myself these questions is one name: Mark Zuckerberg (the creator of Facebook). Zuckerberg dropped out of Harvard after his sophomore year to create the website and currently has a net worth of $34.3 billion, according to Forbes Magazine. Zuckerberg joins the list of other billionaires who dropped out or never attended college including Ted Turner (media mogul and founder of CNN), Michael Dell (chairman and CEO of Dell Computers), Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs. Though there is no real way to tell, it seems pretty clear that a college education cannot be correlated with these billionaires’ success.

Another drawback of college is the immense cost. In the 2013-2014 academic year, the average private university cost upwards of $44,750, (www.collegedata.com). And that’s not including $10,830 for rooming and dining, and an additional $1,253 for books. That makes four years at a private university, on average, approximately $227,332. Many students find a viable option to get around this whooping cost is to attend their state school, in which they qualify for in-state tuition. Though this is significantly cheaper than a private university, four years at an in-state public university, including rooming, dining, books and additional fees, can cost upwards of $134,132 (www.collegedata.com). Scholarships and student loans are two practical options, but people often find themselves swimming in debt long after they are out of college. In Connecticut alone (one of the richest states in America), 64% of students graduate with debt (www.projectionstudentdebt.org). With frightful costs like these, is college really worth it?

Some say yes. College is more than an education – it is an experience. It’s the first time in your life where you are able to gain a sense of freedom without really being on your own. The independence, the parties, the friendships, and everything in between are just a few of the things you can’t get anywhere else. Plus, the college degree is nice too. And in truth, most jobs require more than a high school diploma or a few college courses. Megan Rule, a senior who will attend Baylor University in the fall as a journalism major, has a positive outlook on what her college experience will hold. “I am honestly so excited for college,” began Rule. “Advancing my education, getting a start on my life, and meeting new people will be exciting, as well as being on my own in such a cool and spirited state. I think it will be hard not being able to come home as often as other kids can, but to me that’s a small price to pay for all the wonderful opportunities I’ll have.” Rule received the President’s Gold Scholarship from Baylor, an academic scholarship based on a student’s GPA and standardized test scores. “College is really expensive; don’t let anyone tell you otherwise,” Rule noted. “But I think that with the way society is moving, college degrees are necessary. I think all the costs will definitely be worth it. As long as I work hard and try my hardest both in the classroom and on the track, it will certainly pay off. College is said to be the ‘best four years of your life,’ and I’m looking to make it that, and take advantage of every opportunity I have.”

As I plan to enroll in for the fall, I can only hope that college will be what everyone makes it out to be. I hope that my university will be able to open doors and continue to help me create a stable future. Though nothing is certain, I truly think that my college education will be worth it.