My Top Five Books For Any High School Student

Nicole Jara, Staff Writer

As a teen one experiences many obstacles in life. Some may feel like they are the only one to experience such hardships, but that’s not always the case. It’s good to find comfort in reading because it not only creates a sense of security but also lets a student expand their knowledge. Here are some great books that any high school student should definitely read:

• It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

The book tells the story of a teen, Craig Gilner, who falls into a deep depression caused by the stress of getting accepted into an elite school. He later on gets admitted into a mental institution where he finds friends and helps get through their tough times.

• Looking for Alaska by John Green

Miles Halter takes on a new chapter of his life when attends a boarding school where he meets Alaska Young. Halter spends his whole life looking for what he calls “A great perhaps,” which is a turning point in his life- something that makes it worth living for.

• The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

Holden Caulfield starts off at Prep school in Pennsylvania. He wants to connect with people- not as a kid of his age, but as an adult. The book tells the story of the many obstacles he faces on his way to discovering himself.

• The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The book tells the story of Charlie who is a normal teenager. He’s dealing with his first year in high school. He’s not popular and like any other teen he deals with the temptation of drugs, the loss of friends, and love.

• The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The story takes place around World War II when a little German girl is exposed to the horror of this era. This story is of Liesel Meminger when she is taken away from her home and forced to live with her aunt and uncle. She begins to collect books in which she finds comfort and begins to share with others like the Jewish boxer hiding in her basement