Meet Mr. Wiegand, ESL Teacher

Stamford High Welcomes New ESL Teacher

ESL teacher Mr. Weigand

Perpetie Paul, Staff Writer

Stamford High School is always welcoming someone new. This year SHS welcomes a new ESL teacher, Paul Wiegand, who already has a lot of fans. Many of his students compliment him on his teaching and say good things about him.  One of Wiegand’s students, freshman Jose Ramirez, said, “I like Mr. Wiegand’s class a lot. I’m very happy coming to his class. We learn new things every day. His teaching is excellent; as a secondary English learner I learned a lot in a short period of time.”

Meanwhile, Wiegand seems like he is really enjoying SHS.  The Round Table sat down with Weigand to ask him some questions about how his time here has been going so far:

TRT: What made you want to teach?

Wiegand: I always wanted to work with people, but I didn’t know in what field. When I was in college I began focusing on one-on-one: tutoring, working for a summer camp, helping people where I could. When I graduated college, I realized teaching was my calling.

TRT: How long have you been teaching, and where else have you taught?

Wiegand: I have been teaching for 12 years. I have taught in private schools and public schools in Greenwich, Stamford, at Davenport Ridge Elementary School and at Hart Magnet Elementary School.

TRT: How do you like Stamford High School so far?

Wiegand: I love Stamford High School; I like the students, I like the teachers, and I like the curriculum.

TRT: What is the best part of your job?

Wiegand: The best part of my job is when the students look at me with a big smile on their face and say, “Yes Mister, I get it.”

TRT: Is there a particular goal that you set every morning when you wake up and come to work?

Wiegand: One goal I always set is helping students learn something new about language, themselves or about life.

TRT: Many of your students are saying how awesome you are, how does that make you feel?

Wiegand: It makes me feel really special; it makes me feel like I’m having a positive impact in their lives.

We welcome you to SHS Mr. Wiegand!