Tips for Younger Siblings: Stepping Out of the Shadows

Photo courtesy of Gianna Garufi

Author Gianna Garufi and her alumnae sister Natalie

Gianna Garufi, Staff Writer

Since Stamford High School has been around for so many years, many generations of families have made their way through its halls.  As in many high schools, the majority of the students here have older siblings.  Whether or not they are currently in school together, the older sibling has already set the stage for the younger members of their families.  There’s almost always that moment on the first day of school when a teacher recognizes your last name on the attendance sheet and asks, “Are you so-and-so’s sibling?”  And then you either roll your eyes, smirk, or curl up in your chair as you answer “Yes.”  So now brings upon the real issue: how do you get out of your sibling’s shadow?

To get an accurate answer to this underlying question, a few students that have gone through this experience were interviewed.  Junior Mia Vitti, whose sister Julia is an SHS alumna, claims that many of her teachers call her Julia because of how much they look alike.  She says, “I’ve gotten so used to it by now, that I just laugh and brush it off.”  She is one of many students with this reaction.  Vitti expresses that, due to your looks, “Teachers are bound to get you mixed up with your [sibling], but it’s not a bad thing, so you shouldn’t take it so personally all of the time.”  This advice goes to those kids that get easily agitated by being called their sibling’s name.  It shouldn’t always be interpreted in such a negative way.

Junior Matt LaBella stated that every time a teacher reads his name they say, “Oh great, you’re Roger’s brother, aren’t you?” and proceed to roll their eyes.  In a way, it’s not fair to some students because they are often stuck behind the image that their siblings have left.  He claims, “It is annoying because I personally don’t find myself to be a disruptive student like they assume.  I guess the best thing to do in that situation is just try and prove them all wrong, and show them how dedicated of a student you are, to change their image of you.”  So don’t worry, there is a way to get out of that position they’ve left you in.

However, then there are those students that benefit from teachers that have previously had their older siblings. Junior Omar Fortt has an older brother Khairi that is currently an NFL player for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  Khairi graduated from Stamford High in 2009.  Omar claims, “I’m lucky to have had him walk these halls before me because he’s built relationships with so many people.  I know that any of those people will look out and care for me.”  He also added that the school has gotten to know his family really well and that it’s helped him out. “In my case, you have to be thankful that they set such a stage for you.”  That goes to show that having siblings with a good reputation is often beneficial to many students at this school.

Whether it’s the looks, last name, or personality that leads the staff to believe you are the younger sibling of a student they’d previously had, there is always a way to step out of that shadow if you’re not pleased with it.