Stay Gold SHS

Junior+Gabriel+Gonzalez+returned+a+credit+card+after+experimenter+Brianna+Samaranayake+accidentally+dropped+that+instead+of+a+dollar.+

Photo by Kayla Gioielli

Junior Gabriel Gonzalez returned a credit card after experimenter Brianna Samaranayake accidentally dropped that instead of a dollar.

Brianna Samaranayake, Staff Writer

If you saw someone drop a dollar, what would you do? It’s a common belief that Stamford High School is full of immoral students who only care about themselves. We did a test to see if this theory was true and to see if there are any Good Samaritans at SHS. A few senior staff writers conducted said experiment during first period in the hallways of the sixth, first, and second floors.

On the sixth floor bridge, the group of three staff writers patiently waited to test their theories. As tenth grader Uriy Yosypiv approached the bridge, one of the staff writers set the plan in motion. She broke away from the group, exclaiming that she “needed to visit her locker.” As Yosypiv tailed her, she discreetly dropped the dollar from her pocket. Immediately following, he picked up the money and choked out “Ma’am, I think you dropped a dollar!” He passed the Good Samaritan test. We did this same experiment to anyone who passed us in the hallway and received shocking results!

Out of 15 SHS students, 11 of them actually told the Round Table staff member that she had dropped the dollar and returned it to them, thinking it was the right thing to do. When asked why he returned it, Yosypiv replied, “I have my own dollars.” Yet others like Senior Michelle Skowronek offered a different perspective: “I think [returning it is] a normal thing.” She then added that “it’s certainly a problem” if people don’t return the dollar.

Despite such sentiments, only a very small proportion of the students didn’t return the dollar. Only one student went to pick it up for themselves, while the other three just ignored it and didn’t say anything.

The test indicated that the majority of SHS students are morally responsible. However, even with these positive results, many did not believe that SHS could be a place of kindness. Sophomore Diego Gomez admitted that he believed that the majority would not return the dollar.

Regardless, the experiment proves that the majority of us aren’t that bad! We deserve some credit. Stay Gold, SHS.