Senior internship draws record number of applicants

Restorative justice facilitator Gina Figluizzi ran a senior internship workshop which saw over 100 students attend.

Eliana Senerador, Reporter

More than 70 seniors attended a February 1 workshop to apply for internships in the city of Stamford, different learning centers and private companies.

Stamford Public Schools offers a yearly internship program for seniors. The Senior Internship Experience (SIE) helps seniors who are prepping for college build up their resumes and gain experience in a field that piques their interest.

This internship is offered for seniors all around Stamford, which includes schools Westhill High School and Academy of Information and Technology (AITE).

This year, Stamford High barely had applicants, so counselors came into the senior classes and talked about the program. This created a sudden surge of interest from at least 100 applicants. Workshops were then held to help seniors with their applications.

“I had over 70 students come today to work on the Senior Internship Applications,” said Gina Figliuzzi, Restorative Student Support Facilitator. “We had to add a second day because there was so much interest.”

“It’s a really good opportunity since it looks great on your resume,” said Katelyn Santiago, a senior.

The internship allows seniors to leave the school for the last three weeks of classes and have their grades frozen, which only requires them to show up to graduation practice and graduation when they’re accepted. Many seniors who attended the workshop expressed excitement.

“I’m very excited to participate in it, I think it will teach me a lot of new skills,” said senior Angelina Visser.

Jemimah Beciril, a senior, said, “I think it’s a great opportunity for me to have an experience in what I want to do.”

Any senior that’s interested in the internship but hasn’t registered yet has until February 4 to do so. Speak to your guidance counselor for more information.