Goodbye High School… Sincerely, The Class of 2020

Denice Laveris

The Girls lacrosse team celebrates after their victory against Westhill in the City Championship.

Abby Wexler, Editor-in-Chief

March 12, 2020. A cold, rainy day. The day that the senior class took their final walk into Stamford High, though at the time none of us knew it. We left school that day thinking we had a two week break due to COVID-19. Now we know we will not walk into the building again, together, as seniors, but rather alumni. On the series finale of The Office, Andy Bernard said, “I wish there was a way to know you’re in the ‘good old days,’ before you’ve actually left them. The Class of 2020’s senior year is the epitome of this quote.

Walking in freshman year, it seemed like everything was planned out and our high school career would just unfold in a normal fashion. We thought we had all the time in the world, but we didn’t realize that it was actually true that we would blink and it would be all over. We also thought it would be over in June, with us walking across the field at Boyle Stadium, not sitting at home. We all complained about high school – the walks from the lot on a cold morning, the awful stairs, the workload, and just the craziness of Stamford High – but I think I can speak for every senior in saying that I would take all the work, all the long walks, and the treacherous stairs all over again if it meant we got to finish high school the way we planned. While this year is ending in a way none of us expected, with no spring sports, no spring musical, no traditional prom that we hoped for on June 5, and no traditional graduation on June 15, we had a lot of great moments too over our four years. Our happy moments in Stamford High should be honored, remembered, and cherished.

It all started freshman year, in Boyle Stadium, on a sunny day. The Class of 2020 was the newest addition to Stamford High, and we all filled in to get our schedules, meet our “teams,” and ready to take on figuring out how to get around Stamford High. After going on tours and feeling lost, we all went back to Boyle to participate in games and trivia. There was a sports relay and a ton of other fun games. What seemed like was just a half-day to get us used to high school was the start of it all.

Something special at Stamford High is our annual Pink Out. Not only is it arguably the most fun football game of the year, but it is also such an amazing way to see the community come together and support an amazing cause. We always went all out, with a new shirt design every year and a pep rally to get us excited for the game. The day of the game the halls were filled with pink and the night of the game the stadium was packed with pink. The Pink Out shows off what makes Stamford High so special: a strong community and pride. 

In our four years, there have been many athletic accomplishments. The 2016 volleyball team won the City Championship, FCIAC Championship, and State Championship. The Yaghmaie twins won the State Championship for Doubles tennis in 2017 and 2019. The 2019 Girls Soccer team defeated Westhill for the first time in 30 years. During the 2018-2019 school year, Stamford High defeated Westhill in the first ever City Cup. I think all senior athletes whose careers were cut short can testify that every game representing Stamford High was special. 

However, one of the best moments and truly one of the most special moments at Boyle Stadium was the 2019 football game versus Staples High School. We were the underdogs, but we played hard, fought, and won the game. This game was extremely special because it was the first home game after the passing of former Black Knights, Ky-Mani Pollack, and Nishawn Tolliver. The football team clearly had a lot of motivation and a goal in mind for that night and that was to win for their former teammates. After the victory, everyone rushed the field and celebrated together.

While the good times were amazing, we also had bad times together too. We grieved the passing of Coach Boone, someone so special to Stamford High. I know he touched so many people’s lives, especially in our class. We also lost one of our own, Nishawn Tolliver, to a fatal car crash. The football team, the basketball team, and the Stamford High community honored him throughout the year. We planned on having a seat for him at graduation and an honorary diploma for him. These two tragic events were so devastating, but brought together our community and truly showed our support for every Black Knight.

I could go on and on about all the memories that took place at Stamford High. It truly is a special place and every single day was a new adventure. I can’t speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself when saying that I am so grateful for every single day I have gotten to spend as a Black Knight. This is never how I imagined it or wanted it, but I wouldn’t trade the days I got for anything else. I am honored to be a part of the Class of 2020. Thank you for everything, Stamford High School.