Stamford Must Reopen Soon

Sofia Sarak, Staff Writer

According to an article in the Stamford Advocate, city officials are considering forming a committee of business and community leaders to discuss the possibility of reopening Stamford after its COVID-19 Stay-At-Home advisory. It would be fortunate if this is done in a timely manner, for it is imperative that the city’s reopening process begins and completes soon, or we will all see the consequences. 

First off, our city is home to dozens of small, family-run businesses, ranging from hair salons to diners. It is inevitable that many of these have had to shut down in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, and thus are struggling financially. Others, who were lucky enough to be deemed as “essential,” still must face the setback of a lack of customers. All must pay for the rent of their commercial space, even if it is not in everyday use. If such businesses are not allowed to return to normal procedures soon, we may lose some of Stamford’s most loved establishments. 

Furthermore, an extension of “distanced learning” (which Stamford Public Schools has implemented to continue education remotely) may damage the academic ability of Stamford youth for years to come. At Stamford High School, for example, 52% of students are economically disadvantaged (U.S. News and World Report). These students are no doubt struggling to attend virtual classes every day, either due to technological issues or other family obligations. Returning to physical school as soon as possible is the only way to guarantee that these students are receiving an adequate education and creating a necessary intellectual foundation for their upcoming years. 

Stamford is “The City that Works”. We pride ourselves on our economic rigor and the affluence of our youth, which is rusting away while we stay confined to our homes. Albeit being for good reason, we cannot continue living this way forever. Stamford’s government must act fast in its plan to reopen; if it does not, we will all see permanent damage to our beloved city.