Schedule Change delayed until 2021-2022 School Year

Sample schedule courtesy of Stamford Public Schools

Hannah Bushell, News Editor

On April 27, 2020 it was publicly announced by Principal Raymond Manka that there will be a delay in the implementation of the block scheduling planned for the 2020-2021 school year. Due to the closing of Stamford Public Schools and the transition to Distance Teaching and Learning brought by COVID-19, it was decided that it would be in everyone’s best interest to delay the transition to block schedules at Stamford High and Westhill until the 2021-2022 school year. This way, students, teachers, and parents can more readily prepare for it, making the transition more smooth and easy.

Block scheduling was a very controversial issue this past year, and the debates around it will likely continue into this upcoming school year. This new schedule is defined as having eight total periods, at around 60 minutes each. Each school day, you would drop two classes on a rotating basis. Currently, students at Stamford High School and at Westhill High School are enrolled in 7 classes, one of which they drop every day on a rotating basis. Each day classes are approximately 55 minutes each, with the exception of the daily “long period” which is about 90 minutes. 

Although there has been and will likely continue to be controversy over the implementation of block scheduling, many people have been less focused on it due to the current prominence of COVID-19.