Stamford High School’s First Thanksgiving

Stamford High School students enjoy dinner at Stamford High School’s First Thanksgiving on November 27, 2019.

Leila Rajcoomar, Staff Writer

On November 27, the Stamford High Language department hosted its annual “First Thanksgiving” to the new multicultural students that are now attending the school. Students from Haiti, Colombia, Peru and other countries experienced their first Thanksgiving. The event took place in the small auditorium filled with thanksgiving decorations, tables, and lots of thankfulness in the air. 

The event kicked off with the students gathered around in a large circle. Each person in the circle said what they were thankful for this year. Multiple students stated that they were “thankful for their teachers”, which was very moving, especially to all the teachers present. 

After the “grateful” circle took place, the students tried the food provided by the staff. The food served included turkey, sweet potatoes, cornbread, and other classic Thanksgiving foods. The students seemed more intrigued by the side dishes because they were unfamiliar with most of the foods they had not been exposed to back in their countries.

Stefany Melgar Montoya from Peru, grade 11, commented, “ I have never seen or tasted any of the food I saw today, it was pretty weird but I wasn’t hesitant to try it. I come from a country where this holiday doesn’t exist, so the whole day was new for me.”

A lot of students had similar reactions. Overall, all the students were overly eager to try the new food and all enjoyed being able to share a table with and make new friends with their peers.

To the staff, being able to host such a significant event was heartwarming for them. Most of the teachers have their own children and they explained how they view the students as if they were their own. They saw this event as a great way to bring opportunity and experience to the student body at Stamford High School.

Stamford High Principal, Raymond Manka, stopped by during the event and interacted with the students by enjoying a plate with them and talking about their different perspectives on Thanksgiving. The head of the Language Department, Dr. Lawson, expressed that, “This was an amazing experience.” 

The First Thanksgiving at Stamford High was an exceptional gathering that was able to introduce the new students to American culture.