Remembering Nishawn Tolliver

Nishawn Tolliver

Nishawn Tolliver poses for picture with family

Toshiana Keating, Features Editor

Three days prior to his first day of his senior year, Nishawn Tolliver tragically passed away due to a fatal car accident. This devastation was quickly met with an outpouring of support and empathy across the city of Stamford. Tolliver was a star basketball player and a known face in the Black Knight family. He was on the right track and had improved greatly over the course of his academic career. Principal Raymond Manka says,I was proud of him. He was proud of himself. He is a great example of working through hard times.”

Several vigils were held for both 18-year-old Tolliver and 19-year-old Kymani Antoine-Pollack, a graduate of Stamford Public Schools. The vigils were located at the scene of the crash, on  Stamford’s south end. Hundreds of friends and family members gathered to pay their respects. Shirts and hoodies were made for both young men and worn by their loved ones for days following the tragedy. Tolliver’s funeral service was held the morning of Tuesday, September 3 and many members of the Black Knight Nation, students and teachers, attended the service to pay their respects.

Stamford High senior Kaylin Coleman, a close friend of Tolliver’s, began a petition to attain his diploma. Coleman said, “It’s what his mom would want. It’s what he would want…and nobody else was going to do it.” Thousands signed in support of recognizing Tolliver as an SHS graduate, but there is a protocol that must be followed. Coleman and Tolliver’s mother, Shanika Mitchell, have had a meeting with the Superintendent of Stamford Public Schools, Tamu Lucero, to discuss the matter and a resolution is in the works. Coleman says, “She (Lucero) was supportive.” 

Coleman says that there will be another meeting to discuss the matter in October, and she’s confident that they will get it. 

On Friday, September 13, the Stamford High School football team dedicated their first home game to Tolliver and Antoine-Pollack by wearing stickers with the number 12, Antoine-Pollack’s football number, and Tolliver’s initials. Emotions were high when the Black Knights won the game. Daiquan Hall, Tolliver’s brother, had been at every practice, including the day of the loss of his brother, determined to honor Tolliver’s legacy.

Nishawn Tolliver is and will continue to be remembered as a friendly face around the hallways of Stamford High School. Manka said, “It was just good to see him. His smile would light up the room.” 

His loved ones and the Black Knight family will continue to remember his name and his legacy.