Stamford Schools Sailing Season Underway

Left: Gus Doricko, Right: Julia Zaleski

Kerry LeClue

Left: Gus Doricko, Right: Julia Zaleski

Kennychard Lafontant, Staff Writer

Did you know Stamford High has a sailing team?
Chances are, you answered no.

Well believe it or not, we do. A couple of weeks ago I didn’t know either.

The Stamford school sailing team was started in 2011, is made up of Stamford high school, Westhill high school, King Low Heywood high school, AITE and any other students whose schools do not have sailing teams and wish to join. I recently sat down with a senior member, Charlotte LeClue, to talk about the team.

Although the team consists of mostly high school students, LeClue said, “ Eighth graders are able to practice with us; however, they can’t compete in the regattas.” The team currently only has 12 members (4 girls/8 boys), a record low.

Stamford sailing is based right here in Stamford at the Stamford Yacht Club. Practice is held on Tuesday to Friday from 3:30 p.m.- 6 p.m.. If you have no transportation, LeClue said,“ we usually carpool.” She added that there’s a fee to join and that you have you have to bring your gear.

Stamford Sailing attends numerous regattas throughout the school year in which the team races. In a regatta, you aim to beat the other team three on three.

“We sail C420’s, which are double handed boats, meaning a skipper and a crew. High school sailing does not use spinnakers or trapeze,” LeClue explained.

Last year the team was tied for first place, but finished in second after the tie-breaker.

If you’re interested in joining you may contact [email protected] or [email protected]. And you can check out their Facebook page, titled “Stamford School Sailing Team.”