Strange Fumes Reported on First Floor

Strange Fumes Reported on First Floor

Maddie Caruso, Staff Writer

On Friday, December 12th, around 11 a.m. during passing time, several students reported coughing uncontrollably on the first and second floors. Many were unsure of the cause, and a few were even nervous about what was happening. Some students suspected it was because of pepper spray being sprayed in the hall, and even security guards did not know the exact cause. When fears of asbestos were raised by students, one of the security guards said, “it couldn’t be asbestos, since you have to have long-term exposure to it.”

Several other faculty members were disturbed by the fumes. History teacher Tiffany Clark said, “kids are complaining about smelling burning powder.” She told this to Doug MacLehose, the history department head, who had to temporarily switch her classroom due to the complaints. Other students like junior Sara Casmir complained, “I couldn’t breathe, it was hard for me to catch my breath.” Another history teacher, Gina Figliuzzi, whose classroom is on the first floor, said, “As soon as you stepped into the hallway you felt like you were choking. I immediately started coughing from the office to my room.”

An anonymous students who was there when the pepper spray was released said, “The boy didn’t know it was Mace and accidentally sprayed himself in the eyes; all his friends were laughing. He thought it was a laser pointer.”

A few minutes after the dismissal bell rang on Friday afternoon, interim principal Rodney Bass made an announcement to the entire student body warning of the consequences of discharging pepper spray at school. He informed SHS teachers and students that pepper spray is considered a weapon when used, and any student found would be reprimanded with suspension and reported to the police. “We don’t want unsafe situations in hallways or anywhere else,” said Bass.

Reportedly a similar incident happened yesterday on the ninth floor, although teachers could not directly confirm this rumor. For now, the suspect remains a mystery.