Roswell, New Mexico school shooting

Roswell, New Mexico school shooting

Anthony Bottino, News Editor

A 12-year-old boy opened fire at students in Berrendo Middle School in Roswell, New Mexico this Tuesday. The boy used a sawed-off shotgun and shot randomly into the bleachers of the gymnasium. Two students were injured; one, who has remained unnamed, is apparently in critical condition. While the other,  13-year- old Kendal Sandars, is reportedly on his way to recovery. The middle school was closed after the incident and resumed normal hours on Thursday.

The shooter apparently had a 20 gauge sawed-off shotgun with three shells that he stole from his parents. He shot first at the ceiling of the gymnasium; officials call this a birdshot. The second shot was aimed at the floor of the gymnasium, while the third was aimed at the bleachers. The third shot was the only one to harm any of the students. The boy allegedly wasn’t aiming at anyone in particular. There have been a series of search warrants filed and primary interviews by the police in the hope of finding details related to the incident. The motive of the student remains undisclosed.

The family of the shooter has not tried to explain the shooter’s actions. They are understandably heartbroken over the news.

John Masterson, an eighth grade social studies teacher, was unaware that the boy had used all of his ammunition when he approached the gunman with intent to protect the students. He managed to persuade the student to put his gun down.  The governor of New Mexico praised Masterson as a hero. Masterson is also the coach of both the soccer team and track team at the school, according to the Albuquerque Journal. When contacted, John Masterson said that he isn’t allowed to disclose any information about the shooting.

The incident has definitely shaken up the residents of Roswell, but hopefully the town will heal and return to normalcy within the coming months.