10 Movies to Look Out for in 2016

Graphic by Matt DeNicola

Garey Mendez and Tal Niv, Staff Writers

1. Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice 

Coming out: 3/25/16

The never before seen, live action mash up of these two iconic DC superheroes has been awaited ever since Marvel’s Avengers in 2012. From director Zack Snyder, the film plot involves Batman taking on Superman as the world wrestles with what kind of hero it really needs. Lex Luthor, perhaps the most iconic villain in the DC universe, makes an appearance, with an extremely volatile partner known only as Doomsday. It’s up to Superman and Batman to set aside their differences, and work with Wonder Woman to stop Lex Luthor and Doomsday from destroying Metropolis.

2. Deadpool

Coming out: 2/12/16

This movie is an anomaly within movie history: a comic based movie with an R rating. From director Tim Miller, one can only expect both a hilarious and action packed film, the likes of which have never been seen. Deadpool, the focus of the movie, is an dark and twisted character who hunts down the man who deformed him by utilizing all of his abilities, including a healing factor similar to Wolverine of the X-Men. Since it may never happen again, this movie should definitely be a must-watch.

3. Kung Fu Panda 3

Coming out: 1/29/16

The third of the largely successful Kung Fu Panda movies is an origin story of sorts. Po, the main character, is finally reunited with his family of pandas after spending most of his life unaware of his parents existence. When Po’s long lost father returns, the duo go on a mission to fight the mystical villain Kai, but they first need to enlist the help of his fun-loving brethren to defeat the supernatural threat.

4. Zoolander 2

Coming out: 2/12/16

In the sequel to the 2001 fashion comedy Zoolander, Ben Stiller returns as an aging Derek Zoolander who is fighting to stay in the modeling business with his partner Hansel, played by Owen Wilson. When an opposing company attempts to take Zoolander out, he fights back the only way he knows: ridiculously. A cameo by Justin Bieber will only help the star studded cast of Zoolander 2 pull off the rare good sequel.

5. The Divergent Series: Allegiant

Coming out: 3/18/16

The third installment of the immensely successful post apocalyptic movie series, Allegiant is set up for success with audiences of all kinds. Main characters Beatrice Prior and Tobias Eaton venture into the outside world and face a mysterious force known as the Bureau of Genetic Welfare. Like the Hunger Games series, the Divergent series is a series of blockbusters that should definitely be on your must-watch list.

6. Captain America: Civil War

Coming out: 5/6/16

Another exciting action packed movie that is set to release is about two iconic Marvel superheroes. The film has been anticipated ever since Marvel announced that there would be a third movie for Captain America. From director Joe Russo, the movie takes place right after the catastrophic events that had happened in the most recent Avengers movie and Captain America is now trying to adjust to this new modern time. Sadly, Captain America can not do this as S.H.I.E.L.D. has been attacked and thus creates a huge interest for Captain America. Along the way, he will faces an unforeseen enemy who must be stopped.  

7. X-Men: Apocalypse

Coming out: 5/27/16

After significant previous movies, the X-Men team is ready to show the world why this series is loved everywhere in the newest upcoming movie. X-Men: Apocalypse. The film will be the sixth X-Men movie directed by Bryan Singer. Be ready to witness the Professor X lead and his young X-men team take on the immortal Apocalypse who is the first and most powerful mutant. But not only do Professor X and the X-Men have to find a way to defeat Apocalypse, they also must defeat Magneto. The X-Men stop Apocalypse and Magneto from destroying mankind and creating a new world just for mutants.

8. Finding Dory 

Coming out: 6/17/16

Ever since the ridiculous and hilarious Finding Nemo came out 13 long years ago, many have been waiting for the rumored film, Finding Dory, to come into theaters. Now that rumor has ended as the movie is to set to come to theaters this summer. The film is coming from the same director, Andrew Stanton. Fans are getting ready to witness another ridiculous but touching tale in Finding Dory. In this movie, get ready to see your favorite small fish friends and Dory “just keep swimming,” as she begins a journey to reunite with her mother and father. Dory can’t just do this journey by herself, and she will need help along the way. 

9. Ice Age: Collision Course 

Coming out: 7/22/16

Once again the Ice Age crew is back together, even after the Continental Drift. Families were split and the crew went on a journey to reunite with their families. From director Mike Thurmeier, get ready to witness the annoying and funny squirrel Scrat find a way to bring a bad look to the world. In Collision Course, Manny, Sid and Diego begin a journey full of adventure and laughter.

10. Gambit

Coming out: 10/7/16

As Marvel continues to overwhelm their fans with many movies that are set to come out this year, Marvel has surprised many with the movie Gambit. The director will be Doug Liman, so be ready to witness a great mix of action and comedy. In this movie Gambit will finally have an important role and as the filmwill help show his story and how he came to be what he is. The last time many people saw this superhero was in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which had excited many people but his role was very limited. Now we will finally get to see Gambit as a leading role.