The student news site of Stamford High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

The Round Table

Polls

Have you been taking advantage of the new open campus policy?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Round Table Official Instagram Page

“The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is a Wonderful Adaptation

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, an adaptation of the Hunger Games prequel novel by Suzanne Collins of the same name, was released in theaters everywhere the weekend of November 17th. 

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, set 64 years before the events of the first movie in the series, takes place in Panem, a futuristic dystopian country based on North America. After a war between Panem’s thirteen districts, the Capitol crushes a rebellion, but the effects of the war still linger. The story is centered around orphaned 18-year-old Coriolanus Snow and his desire to restore his once wealthy and powerful family in the Capitol by any means necessary.  

Following the war, the Capitol created the Hunger Games to punish the rebels for the uprising. Every year, two tributes (one male and one female) are chosen from each of the now-twelve districts to fight to the death until one lone victor remains. Coriolanus Snow (Tom Blyth), along with 23 other of the Capitol Academy’s best students, is chosen to mentor a tribute in the 10th Hunger Games. The mentor of the Games’ victor will receive a large financial reward that Coriolanus wishes to win. To his dismay, he is assigned District 12’s female tribute Lucy Gray Baird (Rachel Zegler). 

As we know from the original trilogy, Snow rises to power and continues the games; so you might be wondering, “was this prequel truly a necessary addition to this story?” 

Simply, yes it was. The movie is split into three parts, like the book, and each part further develops the character we later come to know as President Snow. This prequel shows the origins of the powerful dictator we see in the original story and gives viewers an introspective look into his character. Tom Blyth perfectly captures Snow’s complex yet simple character arc. Though the movie lacks the internal monologue the book provides, Blyth successfully shows Snow’s thoughts behind each of his simple and calculated actions throughout the movie’s entirety. 

Additionally, Rachel Zegler’s performance is another of the most notable from this movie. Her portrayal of Lucy Gray Baird, Snow’s mentee, was perfect in every aspect. She brings to life the raw and emotional aspect of Lucy Gray’s character that may have been misconstrued in the novel due to readers only seeing her through Snow’s perspective. From the first moment she is on screen, Lucy Gray’s fiery nature is revealed to viewers through her melodic song and colorful attire that make her stand out from the somber environment that is District 12. Rachel Zegler reportedly performed each of the movie’s songs live, and this detail adds a certain level of depth and feeling to the songs that might have been lost in studio performances. Lucy Gray tells her story through song and I believe that this creative decision, in addition to Zegler’s melodious voice, made the character unforgettable. 

Blyth and Zegler’s chemistry is palpable from the first moment they’re on screen together to the movie’s end. On the surface, Snow and Lucy Gray’s relationship might seem like a love story, but at its core, their relationship is based on mutual self-interest and mistrust. They both want to win the games for different reasons and view each other as a way of achieving that. 

Other notable mentions include Peter Dinklage as Dean Casca Highbottom, who, despite being the creditor of the Hunger Games, is one of the two sole voices that outwardly suggest that the Hunger Games should come to an end. Sejanus Plinth, portrayed by Josh Andrés Rivera, also speaks out against the games, despite virtually being in the position of a wealthy Capitol citizen that isn’t affected by the Games. The contrasting loyalties between Snow and Plinth is a focal point of their relationship and Snow’s overall character arc. 

Viola Davis’ performance as Dr. Volumnia Gaul, head gamemaker, was both chilling and enthralling. The combination of Gaul’s costumes and sadistic behaviors creates a character that truly highlights how twisted the games really are. 

I think it’s important to also mention the creative directing of the film. The camerawork during the Games truly made me feel like I was witnessing it live and somehow a part of it. Also throughout the movie, there are shots that highlight important information without drawing suspicion or spoiling the rest of the story.

As a reader of the book, I will admit that I wish some character-defining moments and plot points from the book hadn’t been excluded from this adaptation. However, even without them, this movie holds up well on its own and as a strong adaptation. As is customary for Suzanne Collins’ novels, this story is woven with endless threads of symbolism, analyses of human behavior, and commentary on real life. This movie also leaves much room for interpretation and theorizing, which I find creates a timeless story.