Stamford High’s Strawberry Hill Players Win CDA Competition!

Sophie Lyons

Left to right: Andrew Rabita (Director), Shaina Lubliner(Actor), Ziggy Sakalaulskas(Actor), and Taylor Garland(Stage Manager). On the floor Will Hunt (Actor)

Lisa Kovalevska, Staff Writer

This past weekend, Friday and Saturday, March 28 and 29, Stamford High School drama club won the CDA competition which is the Connecticut Drama Association. The competition was held at the E.O. Smith high school which is located next to UConn in Storrs.  Ten schools from around the state participated.

The director of the play is Andew Rabita who is a current senior at Stamford High School. The crew did The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged) and took first place, and also won in categories like: Outstanding Property, Outstanding Timing and the People’s Choice Award. The personal awards went to Ziggy Sakalauskas (Senior) and Shaina Lubliner (Sophomore) for All Connecticut Acting, and Will Hunt (Junior) won Outstanding Actor. CDA is a very strictly timed endeavor the cast and crew had only 15 minutes to set up, 45 minutes act it out, and if they went past the restricted time, the judges would take off points, and the time to take everything off stage was five minutes. The cast tied with Joel Barlow High School who performed Still life with Iris and the two schools are going to perform next at the New England Drama Festival (NEDF), where they will represent Connecticut in a showcase.

When asked about the experience Sakalauskas told the Round Table, “Having such a tightly-knit group of people witness the work we’ve done have such a great reaction felt like we were on the top of the world for a moment.”

The Strawberry Hill Players have won several awards during the years. They are a very dedicated group of students who spend a lot of time rehearsing, and do what they love the most-acting. We wish them luck and sincerely hope that they will do marvelous!