Haitian Students Celebrate Flag Day in Style

Natalia Pieszkin, Staff Writer

On May 18, 2016 The Haitian Club held an after school event to celebrate Haitian Flag Day. This event started off with everyone who offered to help out with the decor and setup of the food. After everything was set everyone made their way to the Stamford High School auditorium for a wonderful performance full of dancing and information about Haiti and its culture. The performance consisted of many great acts such.

Everyone standing to sing the National Hampton of Haiti (La Dessalinienne) followed by a  presentation on the brief History of the meaning of the Haitian Flag by Darlene. The president of the club sang “II doit pleuvoir sur Haiti” by Tambours d’Haiti. A Haitian dance called Dekole danse was excellently performed by Alexis, Lia, Solendia, Thierrie. A poem by Esther Pierre was recited, named “Nou ka rekoud li enko.” The president of the group also recited a poem named “Meci Papa Dessalines,” written by an unknown author.  A special presentation by the reigning Ms. Haiti International and former Stamford High School student, Ms. Nupsie Exantus, who shared a couple short and sweet words to everyone involved with the Haitian Club. The last and final act was a dance performed by current seniors Taina Francois, Arielle Beauzile, Kim Lynn Louis Bella and Heaven Blanco, called “Plye ko’w” by J. Perry & African Music mixed.

To end this fun day of celebration, everyone made their way to the cafeteria to be served some delicious Haitian dishes made by attending Stamford High students and parents.

According to club president Kathleen Charles, vice president Thayeenah Louis, and secretary Ann Sophia Morency, the club provides students the ability to join together and learn about their culture and where they are from. Students that have come here all the way from Haiti are able to freely attend  this after school program and get help with their homework and get extra help with speaking English.  Louis spoke about how in Haiti there is a different school system where students only learn and have classes with kids from their own grades, and if they had any trouble the teacher would come to them to help them. But here at Stamford High School the school system is quite different; students from all four grades are mixed in between classes and students are the ones that ask teachers if they need any extra help.