Study Halls are Back!

Study Hall 6th period in the cafeteria.

Study Hall 6th period in the cafeteria.

Ariel Sandoval, Staff Writer

After two weeks of students roaming the hallways, leaving school, and having a difficult time finding student aids, administration yielded and decided to bring back study halls on a limited scale. Some students have been assigned to a study hall period, which this year will take place in the cafeteria.

Having a study hall can have its pros and cons. A study hall’s purpose is so students can study for tests, do homework, or maybe even have time to relax and listen to music or read a book. On the other hand, it can also become dangerous and problematic in many ways.

“Some students, mostly seniors, ask for study halls because they’re taking multiple AP classes,” said Assistant Principal Roth Nordin.  For example, she said period 6 is for ELL students who need extra help in classes they’re struggling with. Other than the ELL students taking advantage of study halls, many of the students who didn’t need help were wandering throughout the school, and some of the time the students even left school. The main reason why they took study halls off the schedule was because kids were skipping the class, said Mrs. Nordin.

Most students interviewed seemed to be in favor of the decision to reinstate study halls. “I’m glad they brought study halls back, because without study halls classes were crowded and students were roaming the halls,” said junior Manuela Tabares. “I’m glad study halls were brought back, because now students can’t leave and get food,” said senior Danica Blas. “I feel like Stamford High school categorized the kids that do not truly come to school to excel with the kids that do and took away study halls, which many people did use for beneficial outcomes, because of the ones that didn’t use it wisely – totally unfair” said a senior who wished to remain anonymous.