The Prom Review

The Strawberry Hill Players Offer a Timely and Important Musical

Victor Amerio, Reporter

The Strawberry Hill Players’ production of The Prom is a satirical, dramatic, and comedic musical performed at SHS.  

The Prom is about four Broadway actors, Barry Glickman (played by Max Guttman), Dee Dee Allen (Hayden Katz), Trent Oliver (Leo Field), and Angie Dickinson (Adele Samsonas), after a performance about Eleanor Roosevelt that tanks with critics due to the two leading actors narcissism. The group then sets out to contribute to a cause in order to promote an image of kindness and generosity to get some good press.  Through social media, the group learns about a small town in Indiana where a high school prom was canceled due to a lesbian student, Emma Nolan (Lola Duhov), wanting to bring her girlfriend to the prom.  In Indiana, the actors learn poignant lessons pertaining to humility and generosity through their struggle in trying to aid Emma in getting her a prom.  

After seeing the production on opening night, I myself can confidently say that I enjoyed it greatly.  Not only for the self-evident fun that the comedy and energy of the performances display but also for heartfelt messages of acceptance that are expressed throughout the production. 

On the topic of the production, and more specifically the production value, any common audience member that frequents The Strawberry Hill Players will notice that The Prom has quite a high production value relative to past productions, with multiple professional set pieces being rented to bring the setting to life.  

Arguably, the strongest part of the production is the energy the performers put into the characters they play and their personalities, which enhance the comedy, drama, and musical numbers. 

In my opinion, the best number of the production is the song, “Love Thy Neighbor”, in which Trent attempts to connect to the youth of the small Indiana town who all have ostracized Emma for her sexuality.  The comedic song argues the absurdity of the teens’ argument that their faith in Jesus precludes them from accepting Emma.  Trent sings about the fact that Jesus would accept Emma, as he preaches to “love thy neighbor,” and sings further about the hypocrisy of each teen and their own personal acts that would, by their own standards, land them the same scrutiny Emma faces. 

More or less, The Prom – as brought to life by the Strawberry Hill Players – is a fun and entertaining show for anyone interested in seeing it.  It provides an almost laid-back, fun energy that seems to be lacking from many new Broadway musicals, without undermining the poignance the performances have to offer and the drama that gives the whole production its heart.  For anyone looking for a fun way to spend their evenings, The Prom will be just right for you. 

The Strawberry Hill Players’ production of The Prom will hold the final three performances for the public on 5/5 and 5/6. You can buy tickets at strawberryhillplayers.com