The School Musical They’d Never Show in Florida

The Strawberry Hill Players challenge convention by producing a controversial musical.

Lindsay Hodges, Staff Writer

The time of year has come when Stamford High’s own Strawberry Hill Players eagerly await the opening of this year’s spring musical: The Prom! A production that holds a lot more value than one might expect after interviewing senior, and drama club president, Max Guttman, who described the opportunity to perform this musical as a privilege. 

While he has made theater a priority throughout his high school career, as a result of covid, this will be Guttman’s second and final full-scale musical production with the Strawberry Hill Players. He described it as bittersweet, and an experience he will not take for granted. Among the privilege of being able to participate in school activities that were put on pause, the particular background of this musical is also why Guttman, as well as the rest of the ensemble of actors, consider this show to be so special. 

The show centers around Broadway stars who are in the midst of receiving bad press and need a cause to save their reputation. Word gets out that a high school in Indiana has canceled their school’s prom because of a lesbian girl who wanted to take her girlfriend as her date. The celebrities decide to use their platform to advocate for the students whose sexual preferences have been made something to be ashamed of, in hopes of reopening this high school’s prom. It is a hilarious comedy filled with great music, choreography, and an important message. 

Considering the recent discrimination against LGBTQ communities, including the passing of Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay Law,” this musical has faced immense backlash, with some schools even canceling their productions altogether. The Strawberry Hill Players do not take for granted that they are a program that has created a safe environment for students to express their authenticity. They are honored to be included in only a handful of schools that have allowed this show to be performed, advocating the irrelevance one’s sexuality has in regard to deeming a production acceptable. 

Sophomore Cooper Toland emphasized her gratitude for participating in this production. “The Prom has taught all of us the importance of acceptance and love. It has also shown just how lucky people are to have such supportive friends and family and live in a time where being ‘different’ is okay and encouraged,” she said. 

The Strawberry Hill Player’s production of The Prom will hold performances for the public on 4/28, 4/29, 5/5, and 5/6. You can buy tickets at strawberryhillplayers.com