Teachers’ Picks

Federico Martin, Staff Writer

With the 2016 Presidential Elections coming up in November, the big question is, who to vote for?  Stamford High School teachers have different views on the Presidential candidates. When I went around Stamford High School asking the teachers who they would vote for, it was surprising that some of them said that they did not know who they were going to vote for with the elections so close. Some said that they wanted Hillary Clinton to be president, while others believe that Donald Trump should not be president.

When I interviewed business teacher Mr. Bonaddio, he did not know who he was going to vote for. Like many people in America, he was undecided. According to Bonaddio, “I don’t have a favorite, so I can’t really say.” He also went on to talk about how he does not believe he will vote for Trump; “I think he’s a little bit quick to make decisions; he’s like a bully and he’s like a know it all, which is good and bad because I think you want someone who is a leader, that’s confident, but sometimes I don’t trust his judgement.”

Social studies teacher Mr. Brown was also undecided and does not have a candidate that he would vote for, and he does not feel strongly about any of the choices that he has. When asked who he would vote for, Brown said, “I don’t yet have a candidate. I am not particularly happy with the choices I have to choose from.” He does not have a favorite and believes the options are not good; “It’s more of a lesser of two evils decision.” He would not like Clinton or Trump to be president. “If it turns out to be Trump and Clinton, I may vote for a third party candidate,” he said.  When asked how he felt about Trump, Brown said, “I think he’s playing into people’s fears, and there are a lot of people here who have fears based on immigration. I think he’s saying things to get people to like him, not that he necessarily believes those things.”

Spanish teacher Mrs. Rich was confident in saying that she would like Clinton to be our next president. “I believe she is the most prepared; she is a practical person and I believe Hillary would be a very positive leader.” Rich likes that Clinton would help America be more practical, and thinks she is the best option for president.

English teacher Mrs. Forker also agreed that she would vote for Clinton. Forker agrees with the ideas that Clinton has and she believes in her power as a woman. “I think that as a woman, she is going to advocate for women’s rights, whether that is healthcare or abortion or preventative care.” Forker said, “I like what she feels is appropriate with healthcare needs for those who are chronically ill.”

It was interesting to see how some teachers wanted to have Clinton as the first women president of the United States. It was also interesting to see how some of the teachers do not want Trump to become president, but are otherwise undecided and are not very happy with the options that they have to choose from. With the elections coming up in November, many of the American people do not know who to choose, and the question of who will be the next president of the United States looms large.