The student news site of Stamford High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

The Round Table

Polls

Have you been taking advantage of the new open campus policy?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Round Table Official Instagram Page

Highlighting Stamford’s Pizza

January 14 to January 20 this year was observed as National Pizza Week in the United States. In honor of this delicious celebration, I’ve decided to rate the pizza in Stamford.

Pizza, though originating in Italy, has become a staple food in the American lifestyle. It’s simple, quick to order in a time crunch, and can be customized with toppings to satisfy even the pickiest eaters in the group.

I’ve lived in Stamford my whole life, and am proud to say that the city has plenty of offerings when it comes to pizza. Thin-crust, Sicilian, Greek; you name the pizza, and Stamford probably has it.

If you’re looking to sample a new pizza joint in honor of National Pizza Week, take a look at my recommendations.

Best pizza overall: Bronx House Pizza (27 Ryan St)

Located in the Springdale neighborhood, Bronx House Pizza is a small pizza place that many people don’t even notice as they drive by. But my family has been a loyal customer for years. Bronx House Pizza is our go-to for the overall best-tasting pizza in Stamford, with a perfectly baked crust, and a balanced cheese-to-sauce ratio. Plus, their customer rewards program makes it easy to save if you order pizza frequently.

Best cheese: Luigi’s Restaurant (968 High Ridge Rd)

If you’re looking for a pizza so cheesy that you pull away from a bite still connected by mozzarella strings, Luigi’s Restaurant would be my recommendation. Besides offering a full Italian menu to suit the tastes of everyone else in your group, you’ll be able to get those Instagram-worthy pictures with your cheesy pie. Plus, it’s conveniently located right near the Merritt Parkway, making Luigi’s Restaurant an easy pit-stop if you’re driving through the area.

Best sauce: Mario the Baker (864 High Ridge Rd)

Mario the Baker easily takes first place for the best-tasting pizza sauce in Stamford. When you bite into a slice of their pizza, you can actually distinguish the different spices mixed into the sauce, and it beautifully complements their crust and cheese blend. While the parking situation is limited, Mario the Baker is located just down the street from Luigi’s Restaurant (coincidence?), and is very worth the short trip from anywhere in Stamford. If you enjoy pizza based on the flavor the sauce adds to it, you will be pleasantly surprised by Mario the Baker.

Best fluffy crust: Coalhouse Pizza (85 High Ridge Rd)

At this point, you may be skeptical as to why most of the pizza places I’ve recommended so far are on High Ridge Rd, but take a trip to Coalhouse Pizza and see for yourself. This is the go-to place for a fluffy, airy crust to your pizza. The coal-fired oven also gives it a unique look and taste that makes the pizza seem more fancy and artisanal than your average restaurant. To top it off, the ambiance at Coalhouse Pizza is lively and bustling, so I’d suggest sitting down instead of just taking your pizza to-go in order to take it all in.

Best thin crust: Colony Grill (172 Myrtle Ave)

Colony Grill is easily one of the most popular pizza places in Stamford. It’s in the Shippan neighborhood, but people from all over town come to enjoy their crispy thin-crust pizza. So many, in fact, that oftentimes you have to wait to get a table at the restaurant. But the crunch as you take that first bite (and the second, and the third…) is totally worth it. If you haven’t tried thin-crust pizza before, just make sure to order more than you usually eat because it’s less filling.

Best pizza sidekick: Domino’s (946 Hope St and 1980 W Main St)

Pizza can’t be the only food on the table; you’re going to need some sidekicks as well. A well-known pizza chain with a couple of locations in Stamford is Domino’s, and while their pizza isn’t great, their side options are. We’re talking wings, tater tots, parmesan bread bites, pasta, you name it. I recommend ordering online and taking advantage of a rewards account, because once you try some of these, you’re going to be craving seconds.

Best dessert pizza: Tomāto Tomäto (401 Shippan Ave)

While pizza is typically more of a savory meal, Tomāto Tomäto in Shippan has something you may not have tried before: a sweet, dessert pizza called S’mores Pie. Nutella, marshmallows, and strawberries make this treat complete, and enjoying it warm is absolutely mouth-watering. After a special occasion, my mom and I love to indulge in a S’mores Pie, and there are rarely leftovers to take home.

Best gluten-free: Tomāto Tomäto (401 Shippan Ave), Riko’s (2010 W Main St and 886 Hope St), Pieology Pizzeria (230 Tresser Blvd #5), Slice of Stamford (581 Newfield Ave)

If you have gluten-free dietary restrictions, don’t lose hope! The above heading contains a small list I’ve assembled of some pizza joints in Stamford that my gluten-free friends have recommended for their gluten-free pizza. Most (if not all) of these places will also prepare your pizza separately to prevent contamination if you tell them you need more strict accommodations, such as for Celiac Disease. Personally, I have tried both Tomāto Tomäto and Riko’s gluten-free pies, and give both a thumbs up.