STEM Focus Diminishes Importance of English Courses

Jordan Grabine, Reporter

Education has recently become heavily focused on STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) courses, which has historically been an area in which the U.S. has fallen behind other developed countries. 

While pursuing STEM can definitely be interesting, one negative aspect of this focus is that it has, in a sense, pushed English to the back burner.   Out of the many classes that are required in high school, I find english to be my favorite, and the most applicable in today’s work field. 

For nearly every job in today’s age, being articulate is crucial.  It can give you countless more opportunities than someone who is not as much so. While in math, you are forced to learn formulas and study patterns, English gives you the ability to be creative in aspects such as writing, and allows your work to stand out from that of others. STEM is valued heavily by colleges, yet only 5 percent of students even pursue it. According to Trade Schools Net, 68 percent of jobs ever require decimals and fractions, while good English and communicating is a factor in nearly any job you can find. 

And out of this number, nearly 30 percent is basic algebra and geometry, which are taught early on. Calculus, which is highly “important” in the scheme of school , is only used in 4 percent of jobs. These statistics lead me to believe that more broad subjects should be offered, in place of these extremely specific courses. This would keep students more focused, and motivated, as well as set for many careers moving on past high school, on a greater scale then these advanced subjects that often will never be relevant outside of high school. 

While some classes don’t seem very important for the majority of students, English is the complete opposite. It is the language of international communication, the media and the internet! Learning this language to an advanced level is very beneficial for almost everyone worldwide, and even more so in the United States. Setting the bar higher for communication would be a huge advancement, as well as an improvement for everyone.