SHS Athletics Receives Michaels Achievement Cup Award

Jimi Cosentino, Contributor

On January 12, 2020, the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference announced that Stamford High School would be one of 16 schools to receive the Michaels Achievement Cup award.

The Michaels Achievement Cup award honors CIAC member schools that provide exemplary athletic programs. This award was created by Roy Michaels, the owner of Michaels Jewelry, in an effort to recognize and reward outstanding athletic programs. In order to receive this award, these programs must show their willingness to exceed the Class Act Sportsmanship standards.

All schools are required to submit information via a survey. A mathematical formula is then applied to analyze the data. The committee then reviews the data and discusses the merits of each potential award recipient. 

According to CIAC, “All programs that surpass a specific statistical threshold are recognized as exemplary athletic programs within their CIAC class. The top programs are asked to submit additional detailed information, and the committee uses that data to select an overall CIAC Michael’s Achievement Cup recipient.”

Stamford High School was chosen by a committee of CIAC staff, as well as representatives from other Connecticut High School athletic organizations who oversee the selection. Stamford High will be honored virtually for this award on February 10th. As a Black Knight, it is great to hear that our athletics are being recognized. Christopher Passamano, the Athletic Director at Stamford High, has done a great job guiding our athletics to where it is today.

Senior football captain Kevin Salvatore was proud to hear the news, “I’m glad I get to represent Stamford High and our athletic programs. This award is of great honor and I’m excited to know that our school is getting the recognition it deserves.”