Don’t take snow days from us!

Why we need them more than ever with our new online reality

Cameron Cahoon, Correspondent

I remember waking up at the time I did almost every day, lifting the blinds, and my eyes opening wide. I was filled with joy by the sight of my backyard coated with snow, and the trees frosted white, thinking to myself, “Maybe…Just maybe today is a snow day”. I’d rush downstairs and find my dad sitting in the kitchen drinking his coffee with a big smile on his face. All he’d say to me was, “Snow day,” and I became the happiest kid ever. That day was spent outside playing in the snow, sitting by the fire, and drinking hot chocolate. Days like this are ones I will never forget. 

Not everyone spends snow days the same. Some people go sledding, others spend the day in bed or on the couch watching movies. Even though not everyone does the same thing, they have at least one thing in common: the joy of a snow day. Breaking a daily routine unexpectedly, and being able to take a break from everyday life is something that does not happen often and is well appreciated by everyone. I believe that snow days take away the stress for students because it gives them a mental health day, and also allows some to catch up in classes they may be behind in. 

Unfortunately, snow days now seem to be a thing of the past. With the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic also came the use of Zoom and Google Meet. Both of these websites allow students to have class virtually from their homes. I believe that this is a great thing for keeping students safe and properly distant from each other regarding the virus, however, it has ruined snow days. Students need these days to enjoy the gifts of mother nature, and as a high school student, I know I am not the only one that uses these days to also catch up on some work. 

COVID-19 has also made this one of the most difficult years in and out of school for everyone. Taking away something that brings most people happiness in a time like this is cruel. Young kids should be enjoying these times and making memories with their families, not stuck in front of the computer all day. 

On days in which a lot of snow falls, it is also not uncommon for people to lose power. Without power or the internet, it would be very difficult for students to attend class virtually, resulting in an absence that is completely out of their control. If classes were to be held, high school and even middle school students could be responsible for helping younger siblings while their parents are working. Balancing their schedule, their younger sibling’s schedule, and having to do things such as making food and looking after their siblings would be very overwhelming and difficult. If we still had snow days, this would all be avoided. 

I would like to speak on behalf of (nearly) all students and say give us snow days back!