Teacher Honored by Yale Recognition Program

Kaitlyn Pepa, Staff Writer

White has been a mentor to Ravin throughout his debate career. (Courtesy of Aron Ravin)

According to the Yale Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the Yale Educator Recognition Program recognizes outstanding educators from around the world who have supported and inspired their students to achieve at high levels. Students entering the Yale Class of 2024 nominated outstanding educators who have deeply impacted their lives. White was nominated for the award by SHS Graduate and former SHS Debate Team captain Aron Ravin

Upon asking Aron’s reasoning for the nomination, he responded, “He helped open my mind to totally different ideas. I think he was the first person in high school to actually change my mind by opening me up to new ideas and perspectives. He helped me become who I am today. That, plus the endless hours Mr.White put into SHS. That made me think he deserved the nomination.”

White was selected by a committee in the Yale Office of Undergraduate Admissions from a pool of 317 nominees representing 41 states and 19 countries. The office credits the excellent quality of the Yale student body to educators like White, who shape their students long before they attend Yale. 

White explains his reaction to receiving the award. The best thing was that it came from a student. It’s one thing for adults to pat themselves on the back, but when it comes from a student, of which you try to be a good example for, and they actually recognize it, that’s a big deal.” White said.

White has coached debate for 20 years, has been a coach for the girls and boys basketball and girls soccer, and was the advisor for the Class of 2020.

“Ever since I started, that was my main goal. To do as many things as I could to be a part of the high school community.” White said.