Uber Eats Into Cafeteria Business

UberEats and other food delivery services have cut into cafeteria food sales in recent years.

Robert Glander, Staff Writer

UberEats is a food delivery platform that is conjoined with the rideshare service Uber. It’s one of the biggest platforms in the world with billions of dollars in profit. UberEats was launched in August of 2014 by Travis Kalanick and Garett Camp. It’s an easy way to pick up food because you know where it is at all times and when it will arrive at your doorstep. 

The popular app is now going mainstream and sponsoring celebrities. On December 6, 2019 UberEats announced a partnership with Popeye’s and the Migos. They released with new meals representing each member of the group that were exclusive to UberEats and the Popeye’s franchise. The partnership was very lucrative because of the Migos’ popularity and devoted fans who will readily participate in the promotion. 

The app features over 46,000 options that are narrowed based on location. UberEats is used very frequently among SHS students. Not only can you order food and have it come right to the front door, but you can also search up the menus of your favorite food places. 

This convenience has made the cafeteria lunch unpopular among students. 

Junior Serenity Belle feels that the options available offer an improvement over the quality of school lunch. “UberEats is great and I think it’s better than school lunch. School lunch makes my stomach hurt,” said Belle. Junior Cynthia Rojas agreed, saying, “On UberEats, there’s a big variety of foods and school lunch has pizza and chicken patties and that’s it”.

Although UberEats is convenient for students, the cafeteria staff has concerns about both their loss of money and the health of the students. Chartwells chef Tom Starkis said, “It does affect the participation here greatly. We’d like to have more people come in and grab food here, and it’s safer. We think it would be a big difference if that was actually put to a halt.” 

Many teachers also feel that school lunch is often the better option for students. Physical education teacher Sheena Carpenter said, “Well, school lunch does offer a balanced diet. But it matters where you order food from.”

Math teacher Richard Frattaroli said that in addition to nutritional concerns, ordering food from outside the building can be disruptive. “In the 26 minutes they have to eat lunch, there’s a really slim chance that they’ll be able to get the food and eat it without missing some class time,” Frattaroli said.