Straight to the point: New SHS student is a pencil drawing prodigy

Rafaque Hughes demonstrates artistic ability

Briana Gordon, Staff Writer

While most high school students are at home watching Netflix, this student is developing into one of the best pencil artists Stamford High has ever seen after just moving to America only a few months ago. 

Rafaque Hughes, 17, is a Stamford High School senior and pencil artist who moved here from Antigua in the Caribbean Sea back in August.

This young prodigy got his beginnings in art drawing stick figures with his older cousin back in Antigua and with years of hard work and dedication, he turned into a realistic pencil artist. Hughes worked in and out of school from the age of five to enhance his skills. When Hughes was younger, he says he would take chalk from class and carve it into mini sculptures. The constant competition from Hughes’ friends also contributed to his development. From stick figures and carvings he has made a lot of progress. 

Hughes enjoys drawing because it challenges him. The hardest part about it for him is the proportions. He also says he likes drawing because of its universal appeal. “It’s something anyone can admire,” Hughes said.

Hughes now works on pieces that take multiple weeks at a time to finish. I sat down with Hughes to see him in action and his intense details create life-like images on paper. He is currently working on a Northern White Rhinoceros, of which there are only two left in the world. 

Hughes has never entered an art show before, but will be entering his first piece in the “Teen Visions” student art show this month and hopes to gain an award from it. 

Despite his current project, Hughes’ favorite thing to draw is dragons because he “just likes dragons.” 

Looking forward, Hughes hopes to pursue a career in zoology, which may explain his interest in the white rhinoceros. His second choice would be an illustrator for comic books.