Stamford High School Round Table Takes Trip to CBS Radio Studios in NYC

The Round Table staff inside the CBS radio studio building in NYC on November 13, 2019.

Hannah Bushell, News Editor

On Wednesday, November 13, Stamford High School Round Table writers took a train to New York City to visit CBS radio studios.

“It was so cool seeing the stuff I teach every day actually happening in real life.  I think the kids were fascinated by a lot of what they saw too, which is what it’s all about obviously” said Jon Ringel, advisor of the Stamford High School Round Table.

The trip was a great opportunity for students to gain a better understanding of the world of journalism. Editor-in-chief of the SHS Round Table Isabella Garcia said, “We got to see what it is actually like to have a job in the journalism field and got to see the environment and how it all actually works. The behind the scenes stuff was really cool.”

Round Table editors tour the WFAN radio studio November 13.

CBS radio studios is home to several radio stations including WFAN, 92.3 Alternative, 880 a.m. (WCBS), and  1010 a.m. WINS. The day began with a 2 hour tour of the studio given by Ray Martel, CBS’s newsroom operations manager. Although there was not much happening due to the impeachment hearings that were occurring, the opportunity was worthwhile.

Student Davion Blackwood commented, “My favorite part was during the tour, when we got to see all the music stuff and a bunch of signs and celebrities. I thought that was really cool.”

In addition to the tour, SHS students spoke with anchor Steve Scott and Joe Connolly. To top it all off, The Round Table was given a shoutout by Joe Connolly the next day over his radio station.

The Round Table staff also visited the broadcast headquarters for alternative rock station 92.3 FM.

Ringel said The Round Table owes a thanks to Susan Bolognino, former SHS parent and employee of CBS, for giving them the connection to take this field trip, and they hope to go again next year.