SHS Cross Country Competes in FCIAC Event

SHS senior Daniel Sorial competes in an FCIAC event October 15. _

Sofia Sarak, Staff Writer

On October 15, the Stamford High School cross country team competed in the 2019 FCIAC Championships at Waveny Park in New Canaan. The team, made up of 52 members, had competitors in the Boys Freshman, Boys Junior Varsity, and Girls and Boys Varsity races.

Overall, Stamford High placed 13th at the meet, while AITE senior Daniel Sorial placed 30th overall in his race and was recognized for making the All-FCIAC Second Team.

Several individual students also had notable performances at the event. Victoria Torres, senior captain, placed 66th in the girl’s varsity race. AITE junior Carlee Reid, also a captain, placed 73rd, and sophomore Alana Goldhaber placed 81st.

Sofia Sarak
AITE junior Carlee Reid and SHS senior Victoria Torres compete in the FCIAC race October 15.

For the varsity boys, James Deberadinis, junior captain, placed 75th, and junior Matthew Tromba placed 73rd. Sorial finished the boys varsity 5k with a time of 17:09.

Several freshman also had notable performances, such as Denis Proskuryako (20th overall in the freshman race) and Anthony Fabricatore (35th overall).  Fabricatore spoke about the changes that come with running competitively at the high school level. “High school running is different than middle school,” Fabricatore said.

When asked what he would miss the most, Sorial said “My teammates – they’re some of my best friends. It’s going to be hard next year without them, but I’m happy I had them.” Head Coach and English teacher Fred Kelley said that Sorial was a “role-model for the team,” and that he is sad to see him graduate.

The team is coached by Kelley and Assistant Coach Adam Scianna. Many runners have improved on their times from August 24 to now, Kelley said, giving him a positive outlook on the team’s performance throughout the season. He said that in regards to the boys’ team, this is one of the best seasons he has seen. “The improvements are phenomenal”, Kelley said.