Black Knights victorious in first City Cup

Abby Wexler, Editor-in-Chief

The first City Cup Championships results are in… and the winner is Stamford High School! The Black Knights tallied up points in football, field hockey, girls cross country, boys basketball, girls basketball, competition cheer, girls indoor track, boys indoor track, boys lacrosse, softball, girls lacrosse, and girls track to win the cup May 15.

The new idea of creating an official cup came from Stamford’s new athletic director, Chris Passamano. At the beginning of the year Passamano approached our athletes and the Athletic Director at Westhill about creating a cup challenge similar to what students compete for in college and other districts. He said, “Everyone agreed that the City Cup – a head to head challenge between the varsity teams of the two public high schools – would be fun.”

The Cup added a new intensity to the rival schools competition.

Before Tuesday, the standings were tied with three competitions left. Tuesday night, the girls lacrosse team pulled off an upset victory against the Vikings. Goals were registered by Tamia James (senior), Olivia LaBella (senior), Melanny Sanchez (junior), Gabby Gonzalez (junior), and Alana Goldhaber (freshman). They held a consistent lead over their opponents the entire game, but the Vikings tied the game with only minutes left. Goldhaber, one of Stamford’s star freshman, scored off of a free position shot with 1:20 left on the scoreboard to make the score 9-8. Westhill then gained possession of the ball and had several shots on goal, all stopped by freshman Rylie Walker. The victory was a huge celebration for the Knights, while also putting Stamford High one point ahead in the City Cup.

The last events for the City Cup were held in Boyle Stadium, where the boys and girls track team went head-to-head. The Knights needed to clinch a victory by one of the teams to win the City Cup, and that is exactly what happened. The boys track team put out an outstanding effort but unfortunately fell short; however, the girls track team really shined. The victory came largely in part from efforts of Ivy Zingone and Juliette Lipson, who won first and second place with two events left. The victory added to Stamford’s total score, leading to them winning the Cup 12-11.

Overall, the City Cup created a unity between the teams and brought spirit by both schools. Stamford is proud of their victorious outcome in the Cup.