The Round Table

Unidentifiable Piece of Plastic Puzzles Journalism Class

This plastic contraption was given to Mr. Ringel on Thursday, June 14, 2018, and Ringel challenged his students to figure out its purpose.

1535642977:75

75

With final exam review days upon us at Stamford high school, a challenge bigger than finals took on students. When journalism teacher Jon Ringel was given these two big plastic squares, he was unable to identify their use. He then challenged his students to try to figure it out. But Mr. Ringel wanted the right answer, not just a theory. Students went online to try to figure out what these could possibly be used for, but did not have much success.

Brett Lubliner
Juniors Lalith Goli(left) and Ryan Hoak(right) attempt to identify what the plastic could be used as.

But why is it so hard to identify their usage? Well for that there are a couple reasons. The first is there is no symbol on it all, no “made in China” or any brand name. They are just blank pieces of plastic with a string attached. There were no clues on what to search, where to look for one of these contraptions, nothing at all.

The second reason is that the figure is curved. This complicates many guesses that are presented for the proper usage of such an object. It wouldn’t make much sense for a curved piece of plastic to hang from the wall, or to hold up anything significant. This isn’t seen anywhere around the school, it’s not something people were able to recognize, it was just a very strange feature.

Junior class president Lalith Goli was very stumped by the item, and when we asked what he thought it could be, he responded, “Actually I have no idea, I just have no idea.”

Goli was not putting in as much effort as other students, such as Ryan Hoak, who said, “It looks sunstained, so maybe it goes outside or in the window.”

This was one of the more thought out ideas as to what it could be, as he took the approach of coming up with reasoning for his ideas. Other students tried and failed, which frustrated greatly the likes of Jake Dobrucky, who said, “It doesn’t matter what it is.”

About the Photographer
Brett Lubliner, Scores Coordinator - Instagram
Brett Lubliner is a senior at Stamford High School and is excitedly serving as the scores editor for The Round Table this year. Brett posts the scores to all Stamford High School sporting events on instgram, the account is @roundtablesportscenter and it definitely worth a follow. Brett is on student council and is the captain of the varsity golf team. He is also a member of the national honors society chapter at Stamford high. Brett is rockin and a rollin with The Round Table this year!