Texas Shooting Leaves Ten Students Dead

Matt Dattolo, Opinion Editor

On Friday, May 18, a high school shooting at Santa Fe High in Texas left ten people dead. The gunman entered his art class at around 7:45 a.m. and opened fire on classmates with a shotgun. The gunman was taken into custody by police, but not before Ed Gonzalez, a police officer, was injured. His current condition is unknown, and he is being hospitalized amongst several other victims of the shooting. Another student was detained by police under suspicion of working alongside the gunman. Several bombs were discovered around the school and surrounding areas, but fortunately, none were activated. The US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives arrived on the scene to assist officers. President Trump spoke with Texas governor Greg Abbott to offer condolences to those affected by the tragedy.

Stamford High senior Andrew Cohen reacted to the shooting Friday afternoon, saying, “I feel like this is part of a much bigger problem, and it’s just one of many examples of why we need increased school security and background checks.” Senior Eric Ciocci added, “I don’t even want to check the news. I already know what it’s going to say. I already know that innocent people, children, were killed. Again. And I already know what is going to result from it. Nothing. No impactful action will resolve this and other countess shootings in this country. No shooting will ever shift gun laws to favor lives over guns. No one who we call important and respectful enough to run this country will ever make a change to save lives from being destroyed.”