Strawberry Hill Players to Debut Spring Musical This Weekend

The Wiz debuts Friday May 4 at 8 p.m.

Sophia Scorziello, Staff Writer

This year’s Strawberry Hill Players take on The Wiz in their performance of this soul rendition of The Wizard of Oz. In this Oz, the walking becomes easing, the rubies become silver, and the glitter ball gowns become lamé. The Wiz takes the well-known story of Dorothy in Kansas and retells it in a Motown style.

The cast, with less than 24 hours until opening night, has high hopes for their performance and is fully prepared to take on the whimsy and soul of the musical. They’re excited to showcase the choreography they’ve been working on and look to it as being a highlight of the night. Together, they feel supported and eager to take on the upcoming shows; junior Rona-Lyssa Tulien told The Round Table that “the cast, crew, and band are all so synchronized!”  

All aspects of the show have been well prepared throughout their months of practice. The costumes and design of the show are a key part of bringing the performance together, and the students and directors have made sure that nothing has been overlooked. Junior Riley Morris expressed pride in the work of the cast and crew, saying, “The amount of intricacy to everything is something we’ve never really done before.”

Catch The Wiz at Stamford High this Friday May 27 at 8 p.m., Saturday May 28 at 8 p.m., Friday May 4 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., or closing night on Saturday May 5 at 8 p.m.