Flu Virus Hits Stamford High Students

Amanda Olshan, Staff Writer

This year, the flu season has been one of the worst seen in years, becoming a frequent topic on the news due to the increasing number of  tragedies the virus has caused. According to the New York Times, this year’s flu season is more intense than any season since the 2009 swine flu pandemic, and it is still getting worse. This has been the worst flu season in decades, and the season might not have even peaked yet.

Across the nation, there have been over 60,000 positive flu tests since October of last year; it is unclear how many deaths in total the virus has cause because of the rapidly increasing numbers. In Connecticut, there have been an astonishing 824 patients that have been hospitalized with the flu from August of 2017 to January of 2018, with the number increasing as the season carries out. According to Sandra Gomez-Aceves, a Contact Reporter from the  Hartford Courant, the DPH revealed that the number of deaths in Connecticut has increased by 20 as of the week of February 1, bringing the total to 52 victims. With the large and rapidly increasing number of deaths from the flu, the Department of Public health has offered vaccine clinics at 13 different locations, advocating that it is important to get vaccinated and people should jump at the chance because of how bad this flu season really is.

Students attending Stamford High School have been catching the virus from their peers, earning multiple absences in a row, and affecting their academic lives. Sophomore Morgan Yacavone explained, “I was out for a full week of school. It affected my daily schedule because I couldn’t be around people, and when I was, I had to wear a mask.” She also said that she did, in fact, get the flu shot. The virus is different for everyone, and depending on how bad it hits you, it can stay in your system for a longer amount of time than it will for other people.

Sophomore Morgan Yacavone missed a week of school due to flu (photo by Joey Price)

While it caused Yacavone to miss a full week of school, it only made junior Diana Magarian miss two and a half days. Magarian revealed that she was sick for two and a half days and a full weekend. She said that it affected her daily schedule because she slept for “hours and hours all day,” making her very disoriented when she had to return back to school as a result of her sleep schedule being altered when she was sick. Magarian also said that she did not get a flu shot.

Sophomore Kaily Young did not get the flu vaccine this year. (Photo by Joey Price)

The virus also infected tenth grader Kaily Young, who did not get the flu vaccine. Young explained that she was out of school for four days, forcing her to stay in bed, isolated from people. Junior Nicole Henkel was also home sick with the flu for three days. Henkel explained that she would have been out for five days, but she did not go to the doctor when she started feeling ill because of midterm exams. Henkel did not receive the flu vaccination this year, but she did receive medication from the doctor.

The influenza virus is a very common viral infection that attacks the lungs, nose and throat, and can become a fatal illness if not treated. Symptoms of the flu can include a fever, chills, muscle aches, cough, congestion, runny nose, headaches and fatigue. It can be treated with rest and a lot of fluids so the body can fight the infection on its own, and it can last from only a couple of days to weeks. The highly contagious virus can be spread from coughing, sneezing, kissing, sharing a drink, and touching a contaminated surface.

A lot can be learned from this year’s flu season. The flu is not something that should be taken lightly; if you or someone you know is experiencing flu symptoms it is best to visit a doctor and get treatment. In order to prevent yourself from getting the virus, getting the flu shot would not hurt. Also, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention suggests avoiding close contact, always washing your hands, refraining from touching your eyes, mouth or nose, and practice good health habits such as disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, getting plenty of sleep and staying hydrated.