Influential Haitian Writer Skypes with Stamford High Students

All photos were taken courtesy of Linda Marchisio and parent volunteers.

Alex Grabar, Staff Writer

Editor’s Note: A version of this story was published in the Stamford Advocate.

On Friday, October 20, some faculty members and students of Stamford High spoke to Haitian-American novelist Edwidge Danticat through Skype in the school’s media center. Students and teachers had the opportunity to ask questions about Danticat’s book, “Brother, I’m Dying,” and about her personal life.

Danticat, who moved to the U.S. from Haiti in 1981 at 12 years old, was raised by her father and uncle, who played very important roles when it came to writing the book, “Brother, I’m Dying.” Growing up in the U.S., it was very hard for her to find friends, mainly because of theAIDS outbreak. Danticat mentioned that kids of her ethnicity were, “teased, beaten, and called boat-people.” However, later on in high school she was able to make friends with kids outside of her ethnicity group.

Students mostly asked questions related to the book, such as why she wrote it. “I had to tell this story,” Danticat replied. Danticat said she felt the need to raise awareness about the struggles of immigration around the world. She used her father and uncle as examples; when they tried coming here, neither man was allowed asylum. Danticat also explained how the book is “a part of an everyday story,” and how important it was to show who her family was and how they came to be.

Danticat believes that both her father and uncle would have been pleased with the way the book turned out, especially her uncle. Danticat’s uncle always wanted to write, especially with her. Meanwhile, Danticat’s father who she described as “timid,” would have likely had different reactions.

Danticat now resides in Miami, and due to her close proximity, often visits Haiti. “The biggest difference between Haiti then and now is the earthquake,” she said. She also explained how there is currently a “population explosion” in Haiti, mentioning how she used to be able to walk through businesses due to the emptiness, but now she gets, “lost in the large crowds on the street.” Danticat is now working on two books, a children’s picture book and a nine-story collection of love stories