SHS Hosts 5th Annual Pink Out

Nikita Kumar, Staff Writer

Editor’s Note: A version of this story was published in the Stamford Advocate.

Friday, October 20, Stamford High School hosted its fifth annual Pink Out game against St. Joseph’s High School in Boyle Stadium. Many Black Knights gathered to not only show their support for their football team but also to raise cancer awareness. Money was raised by selling T-shirts and hoodies that ranged from $20-$30; the sales generated nearly $10,000, which was donated to Gilda’s Club with donation checks still coming in.

Ahead of the game, students started flooding into the stadium decked out in pink. Students ready to watch the Black Knights take on the Cadets. Throughout the night, Stamford High was behind on the scoreboard, but that didn’t seem to get the students down. From chanting to singing, the pink-filled student section showed their support for cancer awareness and their football team. “I think my favorite part was the kickoff because we were tied at that point and it was really exciting,” said senior Everett Dolan. “Besides that I’m not going to say it’s a letdown because I had a lot of fun in the stands – but I’m disappointed in my team, not how they’re playing but how they might feel right now.”

Ally Manevich
SHS Football suffered a defeat at the hands of St. Joseph’s at this year’s annual Pink Out game.

The game started off with St. Joseph’s leading the scoreboard with 7-0 just five minutes in. A few minutes into the second quarter the Black Knights were still behind, with the score 14-0; by the end of the quarter the score became 34-7. By third quarter, St. Joseph’s kept their streak strong by scoring another touchdown. By the end of the quarter, the score was at 41-7. In the final quarter of the game, the Black Knights gave it all they had and hit St. Joseph’s with a touchdown, making the score climb to 41-14. One more remarkable touchdown just a few seconds before the buzzer made the final score 48-20 (which, coincidentally,  was also the score for the 2015 Pink Out game, also played against the Cadets.)

Administration, teachers, students, and parents gathered in Boyle Stadium to watch the game that not only promoted cancer research but funds for support groups and treatment. All the money raised is donated to Gilda’s Club, a community organization that essentially helps those who are battling cancer, their families and friends. President of the Athletic Council, math teacher Adam Scianna, talked about the students’ energy. “The turnout was amazing even if people didn’t buy T-shirts. I saw previous shirts, which was great, and we appreciate whoever buys shirts. I think it’s especially great how much people care and show their support for cancer awareness and hope to see this turnout in the spring fest.”

Ally Manevich

We spoke to Principal Ray Manka, who said he was ecstatic to see so many of the Black Knight students united. “There’s a good energy here, there are a lot of people and it’s a testament to us recognizing a good cause, and it’s something that I’m certainly very proud of,” Manka said. “We’ve got a sea of pink in front of us – it looks amazing.” The spirit of Stamford High’s student section was predominant, as there was a plethora of singing, chanting and applauding from the student section. The game might have been a loss for the Black Knights, but the enthusiasm and stamina the students brought to raise cancer awareness beats it all.